|"Help yourself and the others"|
|Duration||02 January 2009 - 31 December 2009|
|Project goal and objectives||
The main goal of the project is to stop the spread of HIV in Alytus City and to improve the health and quality of life of people having drug dependency, to decrease their morbidity, mortality and spread of sexually transmitted infections among the drug users and in the society.
During the project implementation low threshold cabinet premises were renovated: repaired entrance to the cabinet and renovated two premises in the cabinet. A bactericidal lamp was installed in a procedural cabinet. This had significantly improved the working conditions of the staff.
One outreach worker was trained for the outreach work and provided services according to the needs at home also. The secondary exchange was done by six individuals in total and this helped to reach more drug users, who did not want to come to the low threshold cabinet for the services.
In total 155 regular clients visited the cabinet and 35 new clients were reached during the project implementation. Two new HIV cases were found after the HIV testing done in the cabinet. The clients were informed about safer drug use, aiming to stop the transmission of the blood-borne infections.
1. Health education and information, aiming to reduce risky behaviour;
2. Information provision and consultations;
3. Organizing testing for HIV and other infectious diseases;
4. Provision of the needles, syringes, disinfectants and condoms;
5. Wounds and trophic sores ligature, dressing distribution;
6. Support with food, bedding, clothing and footwear.