Five Lithuanian organizations selected to receive UNODC grants
Five Lithuanian organizations were selected to receive UNODC grants for implementation of HIV/AIDS prevention projects in 2008/2009. The projects were selected by external experts representing the key UNODC partners in Lithuania: Ministry of Health, Drug Control Department, Prison Department, AIDS Centre and Vilnius Centre for Addiction Disorders. Three of the new grant projects will support beginning of pharmacological treatment of opioid dependence in Šiauliai, Šilutė and Mažeikiai, one project aims to improve and expand harm reduction services for drug users in Kaunas City and one project is designated for harm reduction services in Visaginas and for prevention of drug use and HIV in Marijampolė Correction House. The selected projects and implementing organizations are:
- Šiauliai Mental Health Centre project "HIV/AIDS Prevention among Injecting Drug Users";
- UAB "Šilutės Mental Health and Psychotherapy Centre" project "HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care among Injecting Drug Users in Šilutė Region";
- UAB ,,Mažeikių Mental Health Centre" project "HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care among Injecting Drug Users in Mažeikiai City and Region";
- Kaunas City Centre for Social Services project "Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Harm Reduction Programs in Kaunas City Centre for Social Services ("Low-threshold" Services)";
- Charity and Support foundation ,,Vilties švyturys" project "Drug Harm Reduction and Psychological and Social Work with Inmates".
UNODC will dispense 488 900,00 Lt for implementing new projects in Lithuania in 2008. During the first call 8 project applications were received. The second call for grants will be announced in October, 2008. The goals of the UNODC small grants scheme are to improve the quality and coverage of the services for injecting drug users who visit low-threshold cabinets, to increase availability of pharmacological treatment of opioid dependence and to improve drug dependence treatment and HIV prevention in prisons.
In 2007 UNODC grants for the total amount of 740 540,00 Lt were given to 13 organizations in Lithuania for the following projects:
- 8 needle and syringe programs in Alytus, Druskininkai, Klaipėda, Mažeikiai, Vilnius;
- 2 new methadone maintenance therapy programs in Telšiai and Kėdainiai;
- 3 projects for HIV prevention and psychological support to inmates in Alytus and Vilnius Second Correction Houses and in Šiauliai Interrogation Ward.
|Back to all news|