Ten Lithuanian organizations selected to receive UNODC grants
In December 2008 ten Lithuanian organizations were selected to receive UNODC grants for implementation of HIV/AIDS prevention projects in 2009. The projects were selected by external experts representing the key UNODC partners in Lithuania: Ministry of Health, Drug Control Department, Prison Department, AIDS Centre and Vilnius Centre for Addiction Disorders.
During this call the total amount of 17 project applications was received, 10 of them will be supported and 2 projects will be considered in the nearest future after receiving additional information on available funding and assessing the needs in the project site. Three of the selected new grant projects will support HIV prevention in 8 prison settings: Alytus Correction House, Central Prison Hospital, Kaunas Remand Prison, Lukiškės Remand Prison, Panevėžys Correction House, Pravieniškės Medical Treatment and Correction House, Šiauliai Remand Prison and Vilnius 2 nd Correction House. One project aims to expand pharmacotherapy services and one project to develop harm reduction services in Klaipėda city. Meanwhile five new projects will work on expansion and development of the needle and syringe exchange programmes: continuous projects in Alytus, Druskininkai, Telšiai and Vilnius and new needle and syringe programme in Visaginas City. The selected projects and implementing organizations are:
- Lithuanian Red Cross Society Alytus Committee Social Diseases Anonymous Consulting Office "Pasitikejimas" project "Help yourself and the others";
- Klaipėda center for addictive disorders project "Expansion of HIV/AIDS prevention, care and drug treatment services among injecting drug users in Klaipėda city";
- NGO "Pozityvus gyvenimas" project "Increasing the knowledge of HIV/AIDS and treatment among drug users";
- NGO "Pusiaukelis" project "Strengthening HIV/AIDS prevention";
- Charity and Support Fund "KRIS in North-West of Lithuania" project "Increasing the use of HIV/AIDS prevention and low threshold social services among prisoners";
- NGO Social risk prevention center project "The quality of HIV infected people in prison settings";
- Association of HIV Affected Woman and Their Intimates "DEMETRA" project "Stay Healthy 2";
- Society helping drug users, people with AIDS and HIV positive project "HIV/AIDS prevention among injecting drug users, their family members and partners in Druskininkai";
- Visagino social service centre project "HIV/AIDS prevention and care among injecting drug users in Visaginas municipality";
- JSC Samogitian Mental Health Centre project "Establishment of service network for injecting drug users and service expansion in Telšiai district".
Back to all news