Online Directory of Competent National Authorities under the 1988 Drug Convention and the Organized Crime Convention
The online directory of Competent National Authorities allows easy access to the contact information of over five hundred competent national authorities designated under: (1) the 1988 United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, (2) the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime and the Protocols thereto, and (3) other applicable legal instruments, such as General Assembly resolution 68/186 and decisions 3/2 and 4/2 of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention against Transnational Organized Crime.
The directory contains the contact information competent national authorities authorized to receive, respond to and process requests of assistance for matters related to:
- Mutual legal assistance in investigations, prosecutions and judicial proceedings,
- Measures to prevent transnational organized crime,
- Transfer of sentenced persons,
- Illicit traffic by sea of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances,
- Smuggling of migrants by sea,
- Illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in firearms and
- Prevention and combat of trafficking in cultural property.
With a view to facilitate communication and problem-solving among competent authorities at the interregional level, the directory contains essential information on:
- Legal and procedural requirements to be observed in requests,
- Use of the Organized Crime Convention as the legal basis for requests,
- Links to national laws and websites,
- Indication of requests that can be made through INTERPOL.
The online directory is available to competent authorities and government agencies with a user account. Account members also receive the latest publication of the Directory twice a year and can download the directory in .pdf and .rtf formats.
Access is reserved for Permanent Missions to the United Nations and for the authorities listed in the Directory.
Competent national authorities under other provisions of the international drug control treaties
Another online directory lists competent national authorities empowered to issue certificates and authorizations for the import and export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, and to regulate or enforce national controls over precursors and essential chemicals, based on article 18 of the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, article 16 of the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and article 12 of the 1988 Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.