This module is a resource for lecturers
The following readings are recommended for students interested in exploring the topics of this Module in more detail, and for lecturers teaching the Module:
- Council of Europe (1950). European Convention on Human Rights. Rome: EU, article 6.
- League of Arab States (1994). Arab Charter on Human Rights . Cairo: Arab League, article 16.
- Organization of African Unity (1986). African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights . Nairobi: OAU, article 7.
- Organization of American States (1969). American Convention on Human Rights . Costa Rica: OAS, articles 7 and 8.
- United Nations Congress on the Prevention of Crime and the Treatment of Offender (1990). Basic Principles on the Role of Lawyers (Havana Principles). Havana: UN.
- Inter-American Juridical Committee(2016). Principles and Guidelines on Public Defense in the Americas . Rio de Janeiro: OAS.
Note that the relevant parts of most of the above international normative documents are summarized in: UNODC and UNDP (2016). Global Study on Legal Aid: Global Report . New York and Vienna: UNODC and UNDP, Part IB International Legal Framework.
- European Union (2013). Directive 2013/48/EU on the right of access to a lawyer in criminal proceedings. Brussels: EU.
- European Union (2016). Directive 2016/1919 /EU on legal aid for suspects and accused persons in criminal proceedings. Brussels: EU.
- European Union (2012). Directive 2012/13/EU on the right to information in criminal proceedings. Brussels: EU.
- European Union (2016). Directive 2016/800 /EU on procedural safeguards for children who are suspects or accused persons in criminal proceedings. Brussels: EU.
- European Commission (2013). Recommendation on procedural safeguards for vulnerable persons suspected or accused in criminal proceedings . Brussels: EU.
United Nations Publications
- UNODC (2017). Model Law on Legal Aid in Criminal Just ice Systems with Commentaries . Vienna: 2017.
- UNODC and UNDP (2016). Global Study on Legal Aid: Global Report . New York and Vienna: UNODC and UNDP.
- UNODC (2013). Handbook on strategies to reduce overcrowding in prisons . New York: UNODC.
- UNODC (2014). Handbook on Women and Imprisonment . New York: UN.
- UNDP (2014). Legal Aid Service Provision: A guide on programming in Africa . New York: UNDP.
- UNODC (2015). Information note for criminal justice practitioners on non-custodial measures for women offenders . Vienna: UNODC.
- UNODC (2014). Strengthening Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Responses to Violence against Women . New York: UN.
- Auke, Willems (2014). The United Nations Principles and Guidelines on Access to Legal Aid in Criminal Justice Systems. New Criminal Law Review, vol. 17(2), 184-219.
- Binder, Alberto. Cape, Ed. and Namoradze, Zaza (2015). Effective Criminal Defence in Latin America. Bogota, Columbia: Dejusticia.
- Blackstock, Jodie. Cape, Ed. Hodgson, Jacqueline. Ogorodova, Anna. and Spronken, Taru (2014). Inside Police Custody: An Empirical Account of Suspects' Right in Four Jurisdictions.Antwerp, Belgium: Intersentia.
- Bowles, Roger and Perry, Amanda (2009). International comparison of publicly funded legal services and justice systems. London: Ministry of Justice.
- Cape, Ed (2017). Defending Suspects at Police Stations. London: Legal Action Group.
- Cape, Ed and Namoradze, Zaza (2012). Effective Criminal Defence in Eastern Europe . Moldova: Soros Foundation.
- Cape, Ed. Namoradze, Zaza. Smith, Roger. and Spronken, Taru (2010). Effective Criminal Defence in Europe. Antwerp, Belgium: Intersentia.
- Cape, Ed and Hodgson, Jacqueline (2014). The Right of Access to a Lawyer at Police Stations: Making the European Directive Work in Practice. New Journal of European Criminal Law, vol. 5, 450.
- Flynn, Asher. Hodgson, Jacqueline. McCulloch, Jude. and Naylor, Bronwyn (2016). Legal Aid and Access to Legal Representation: Re-Defining the Right to a Fair Trial. Melbourne University Law Review, vol. 40, 208-239.
- International Legal Foundation (2016). Measuring Justice: Defining and Evaluating Quality for Criminal Legal Aid Providers. New York: ILF.
- Institute for Criminal Policy Research (2018). World Pre-trial/Remand Imprisonment List . London: Birkbeck.
- Pivaty, Anna (2018). The Right to Custodial Legal Assistance in Europe: In Search for the Rationales. European Journal of Crime, Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, vol. 26, 62-98.
- Schumann, Stefan. Bruckmüller, Karin. and Soyer, Richard (2012). Pre-trial Emergency Defence: Assessing pre-trial access to legal advice. Vienna: Intersentia.
- Sherr, Avrom and Paterson, Alan (2008). Professional Competence, Peer Review and Quality Assurance in England and Wales and in Scotland. Alberta Law Review, vol. 45, 151.
- Spronken, Taru (2010). An EU-Wide Letter of Rights: Towards Best Practice. Antwerp: Intersentia.
- Vogler, Richard (2005). A World View of Criminal Justice. Aldershot, Hampshire: Ashgate Publishing Ltd., chapters 2 and 7.