This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module. in order to become familiar with some of the key issues. Core readings are available to students either online or via open access.
Materials with this icon can be found in the E4J Library of Resources.
- Coyle, Andrew and Fair, Helen (2018) . A Human Rights Approach to Prison Management: Third edition . London: Institute for Criminal Policy Research at Birkbeck, University of London.
- Coyle, Andrew, Heard, Catherine and Fair, Helen (2018). ' Current Trends and Practices in the Use of Imprisonment', International Review of the Red Cross,98(3): 761-781.
- Penal Reform International (2012). Ten-Point Plan to Reduce Prison Overcrowding . London: Penal Reform International. Also available in Turkish.
- Penal Reform International (2018). Global Prison Trends 2018 . London: Penal Reform International.
- UNODC (2013). Handbook on Strategies to Reduce Overcrowding in Prisons . New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2015) . The United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners (the Nelson Mandela Rules): An updated blueprint for prison management in the 21st century. Vienna: United Nations.
- UNODC (2017a). Assessing compliance with the Nelson Mandela Rules: A checklist for internal inspection mechanisms. New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2017b). Roadmap for the Development of Prison-based Rehabilitation Programmes . Vienna: United Nations.
- Walmsley, Roy (2018). World Prison Population List, twelfth edition. London: ICPR, World Prison Brief.
Next: Advanced reading