Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
International human rights law
- United Nations, General Assembly (2008). Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism, Martin Scheinin . 6 August. A/63/223.
- United Nations, Human Rights Committee (2007). General Comment No. 32: Article 14: Right to equality before courts and tribunals and to a fair trial . 23 August. CCPR/C/GC/32.
- Count-Terrorism Implementation Task Force, Working Group on protecting human rights while countering terrorism (2014). Basic Human Rights Reference Guide: Fair Trial and Due Process in the Context of Countering Terrorism . New York: United Nations.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) (2008). Human Rights, Terrorism and Counter-terrorism: Fact Sheet No. 32 . Geneva: United Nations.
- United Nations, Human Rights Council (2014). Report of the Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, Juan E. Méndez . 4 March. A/HRC/25/60. » The Special Rapporteur on torture et al. has produced a report on the exclusionary rule (the absolute prohibition on the use of statements made because of torture or other ill-treatment).
- Schmid, Evelyne (2009). " The Right to a Fair Trial in Times of Terrorism: A Method to Identity the Non-Derogable Aspects of Article 14 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights." Goettingen Journal of International Law, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29-44.
Regional human rights law
- European Court of Human Rights (2017). Factsheet: Terrorism and the European Convention on Human Rights . December.
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) (2013). Human Rights in Counter-Terrorism Investigations: A Practical Manual for Law Enforcement Officers . Warsaw: ODIHR.
- Chiotcha, Paul (2017). Fair Trial Rights During States of Conflict and Emergency. Human Rights Law Clinic Papers 2017. May.