Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section recommends advanced readings for students interested in exploring the topic(s) of this Module in more detail, and for lecturers teaching the Module.
International human rights framework
- Atta-Asamoah, Andrews (2008). " Counter-Terrorism and the National Security of African States: Points of Convergence and Departure." Jo urnal of Security Sector Management, vol. 6, issue 1.
- Burchill, Richard (2005). " When does an Emergency Threaten the Life of the Nation? Derogations from Human Rights obligations and the War on International Terrorism." Yearbook of New Zealand Jurisprudence, vol. 8, issue 1, pp. 99-118.
- Chigara, Ben (2007). "The Unfinished Business of Human Rights Protection and the Increasing Threat of International Terrorism." Asian Yearbook of International Law, vol. 13.
- International Commission of Jurists (2004). The ICJ Declaration on Upholding Human Rights and the Rule of Law in Combating Terrorism ("Berlin Declaration"). 28 August.
- Michaelsen, Christopher (2005). " Derogating from International Human Rights Obligations in the "War against Terrorism"? - A British-Australian Perspective." Terrorism and Political Violence, vol. 17, pp. 131-155.
- United Nations, Economic and Social Council, Commission on Human Rights (1984) . The Siracusa Principles on the Limitation and Derogation Provisions in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights . E/CN.4/1985/4, Annex.
Regional human rights framework
- Abbiboa, Daniel E. (2014). " Peace at Daggers Drawn? Boko Haram and the State of Emergency in Nigeria." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, vol. 37, issue 1, pp. 41-67.
- Bağlayan, Başak (2017). " The Turkish State of Emergency under Turkish Constitutional Law and International Human Rights Law." ASIL Insights. vol. 21, issue 1.
- Candelaria, Sedfrey M., and Ma. Carmel M. Baquilod (2017). " Testing Constitutional Waters IX: The Constitutional Parameters of the Exercise of Executive Powers in Non-International Armed Conflict Situations." Ateneo Law Journal, vol. 62, pp. 352-405.
- Cowell, Frederick (2013). " Sovereignty and the Question of Derogation: An Analysis of Article 15 of the ECHR and the Absence of a Derogation Clause in the ACHPR." Birkbeck Law Review, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 135-162.
- Horowitz, Jonathan, Counterterrorism and Human Rights Abuses in Kenya and Uganda: The World Cup Bombing and Beyond (New York, NY: Open Society, 2013).
- Inter-American Court of Human Rights (1987). Judicial Guarantees in States of Emergency . 6 October. Advisory Opinion OC-9/87.
- International Federation for Human Rights (2007). Counter-Terrorism Measures and Human Rights: Keys for Compatibility Human rights Violations in Sub-Saharan African Countries in the Name of Counter-Terrorism: A High Risks Situation . No. 483/2.
- International Federation for Human Rights (2010). Egypt: Counter-Terrorism against the background of an endless state of emergency. No. 534a. Paris.
- Jonas, Obonye (2014). " Emergency Laws in Botswana: Some Critical Reflections." Speculum Juris, vol. 28, issue 1, pp. 196-218.
- Kumar, Jitender (2017). " An analysis of anti-terrorism laws in India." Imperial Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, vol. 3, issue 3, pp. 480-486.
- Manoharan, N. (2011). " Trojan Horses? Efficacy of Counter-terrorism Legislation in a Democracy: Lessons from India." Manekshaw Paper no. 30, pp. 1-27. Centre for Land Warfare Studies, New Dehli.
- Mapuva, Loveness (2016). " Negating the Promotion of Human Rights Through "Claw-Back" Clauses in the African Charter on Human and People's Rights." International Affairs and Global Strategy, vol. 51, pp. 1-4.
- Matfess, Hilary (2017). " Ethiopia: Counter-Terrorism Legislation in Sub-Saharan Africa." Small War Journal. 11 April.
- Olowu, Dejo (2009). An Integrative Rights-Based Agenda for Human Development in Africa. Pretoria: Pretoria University Law Press.
- Reynolds, John (2010). " The Long Shadow of Colonialism: The Origins of the Doctrine of Emergency in International Human Rights Law." Osgoode Hall Law School CLPE Research Paper 19/2010, vol. 06 no. 5.
- Sankore, Rotimi.
"Anti-Terror Legislation and Democracy in Africa". Excerpt from
The Anti-Terrorism Campaign, Democracy and Human Rights.
- Tolera, Melkamu Aboma (2014). " Absence of a Derogation Clause under the African Charter and the Position of the African Commission." Bahir Dar University Journal of Law, vol. 4, no. 1 pp. 229-283.
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) (2017). Two UN rights experts urge France to bring its draft counter-terrorism law in compliance with its international human rights obligations. 27 September.