This module is a resource for lecturers
Regional Crime Prevention Councils/Institutions
- Region(s): South Africa
- Overview: CJCP is a non-profit organization dedicated to early violence prevention research and interventions. Their website provides various publications on family resilience, early childhood development, school safety and child protection.
- Region(s): Nigeria
- Overview: CLEEN Foundation is a non-governmental organization established in 1998. They promote public safety, security and accessible justice through empirical research, advocacy, and publications, in partnership with government, civil society and the private sector.
- Region(s): Town of Amanzimtoti in the province of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa
- Overview: CCPO is a local community-initiated crime prevention organization that assists the local police in countering crime by placing guards and undercover agents at crime hot spots. They also implement proactive crime prevention strategies in their town.
- Region(s): Kenya
- Overview: NCRC is a government crime research centre established under the Office of the Attorney General and Department of Justice. Their research findings, mainly concerned with the causes of crime and its prevention, help inform Kenya's national criminal justice policies and crime prevention programmes.
- Region(s): City of Beirut, Lebanon
- Website: Not available, but can be contacted by email at: email@example.com
- Overview: Rescue Me was founded in 2011 and it is a non-profit organization with the aim to create safer communities through the prevention of crime and violent extremism. Their approach to crime prevention is largely based on social development - by providing educational workshops in schools, prisons and community settings. They believe that the identification and management of risk factors during early stages of one's life is crucial to reducing potential future crime.
- Region(s): Rwanda
- Overview: RYVCP is a community policing organization for young adults with the objective of supporting, and promoting awareness about, human security activities. Members often work in partnership with the national police on the implementation of crime prevention strategies and crime information exchange.
- Region(s): Zambia
- Overview: WCP supports the work of the Zambian's Department of National Parks and Wildlife in reducing illegal trade of wildlife in Zambia and their neighbouring countries. Illegal wildlife trafficking includes the illegal trade of live wildlife, wildlife products or their derivatives, as well as flora and fauna.
Youth Crime Watch of Liberia (YCWL)
- Region(s): Liberia
- Overview: YCWL is a youth led organization formed in 2004. YCWL aims to improve the quality of life of its communities through crime prevention, youth empowerment and youth employment. The organization recognizes the importance of empowered youth citizens who actively participate in society to prevent crime. YCWL runs youth empowerment programs that promote confidence building, trauma healing, business skills and personal development skills to help address the underlying causes of crime. Youth are encouraged to watch out or help out members of their community, and the programme has resulted in a reduction in crime, violence and drug abuse.
- Region(s): Zimbabwe
- Overview: ZACRO is a non-profit organization founded in 1923, they work to prevent crime, promote rehabilitation and reintegration of offenders. They also advocate for justice in their nation's prisons.
Asia and Oceania
- Region(s): India
- Overview: AICPS aims to promote crime prevention awareness by establishing District Committees within various States of India to assist local police in making India crime free.
- Region(s): Australia
- Overview: APR2P was borne out of a partnership between the Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade with The University of Queensland. The APR2P is dedicated to assisting Asian Pacific nations in the prevention of crime and mass atrocities. They are founded in the principle of a responsibility to protect.
- Region(s): Australia
- Overview: ACPC was originally formed in 1960 to address prison aftercare; subsequently expanding to include a focus on crime prevention. Contemporary crime prevention challenges include the funding of crime prevention initiatives, and cooperation between public and private sectors in the implementation of crime prevention initiatives.
- Region(s): United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Overview: Hedayah Centre was formed in 2012 by the UAE Government to counter violent extremism and terrorism, with the aim to be the foremost international centre and operational platform for expertise in this area. Furthermore, the centre aims to promote understanding and share effective practices of strategies to counter violent extremism with a global audience.
- Region(s): Malaysia
- Overview: MCPF is a non-profit governmental organization dedicated to promoting public awareness in crime prevention and the rehabilitation of offenders. The ultimate goal is to achieve peace, stability and a zero-crime level in Malaysia.
- Region(s): Israel
- Overview: Established in 1999, Metzila is a division within Israel's Ministry of Public Security. The division develops and operates crime prevention programmes, with operations in 70 municipalities and in 24 dormitories and youth villages. Programmes are tailored to meet the needs of the target municipality, by factoring in relevant geographic and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Region(s): Singapore
- Overview: NCPC is a not for profit organization committed to promoting public awareness about crime, and to promote individual responsibility in the prevention of crime.
- Region(s): Pakistan
- Overview: NR3C is a federal government investigation agency dedicated to fighting and preventing cybercrime. NR3C specializes in digital forensics, technical investigation, information system audits, and training.
- Region(s): New Zealand
- Overview: SCFNZ is an international, non-profit organization with the objective to promote and create International Safe Communities (ISC) in New Zealand. ISC is an initiative of the World Health Organization (WHO) that encourages greater cooperation and collaboration between non-governmental organizations, the business sector, and various levels of government in ensuring public safety.
- Region(s): Denmark
- Overview: The Danish Crime Prevention Council is concerned about protection and security in the residential, online and public contexts. Their website can be used as a resource for urban crime prevention strategies
- Region(s): Netherlands
- Overview: CCV is an independent foundation that works to maintain the safety and quality of life in the Netherlands. To achieve their aims, CCV provides knowledge, tools, informational material and tailored advice to relevant stakeholders.
- Region(s): European Union Member States
- Overview: Established by the Council of the European Union in 2001, EUCPN is a network that aims to create connections at the local, national and regional level to promote crime prevention knowledge and practices among EU Member States.
- Region(s): France
- Overview: FFSU is a French forum for urban security that brings together 130 local authorities with the aim of strengthening policies on security and crime prevention, while also promoting the role of local authorities. Opportunities for knowledge exchange are facilitated in the form of working groups, seminars, and training sessions.
- Region(s): Germany
- Overview: GCOCP's objective is to strengthen crime prevention within the broad societal framework. Their work has the effect of contributing to the reduction of crime and the fear of crime. It further serves as a forum for international crime prevention experts to share practical experiences.
- Region(s): Finland
- Overview: NCCP is an expert crime prevention body established in 1999 by Finland's Ministry of Justice. Focusing primarily on localized crime prevention initiatives, NCCP aims to decrease the harm caused by crime, and increase security. NCCP comprises representatives from government, research and commercial entities.
- Region(s): Norway
- Overview: Functioning as the Norwegian Government's body of expertise within the judicial system, KFK disseminates crime prevention knowledge with the aim of reducing crime and improving safety in society.
- Region(s): France
- Overview: ONDT is affiliated with the Public Transport Directorate and has responsibility for researching and implementing solutions to prevent the occurrence of crime on public transport. ONDT aims to ensure a high level of reliability, safety and security on the French public transport system.
- Region(s): Sweden
- Overview: Brå is a governmental agency formed under the Swedish Ministry of Justice. Brå is a knowledge centre for Sweden's criminal justice system, with particular responsibility for producing the nation's official crime statistics, conducting research and evaluation, and promoting crime prevention work.
- Region(s): United Kingdom - South West of England and South Wales
- Overview: SCLT is a non-governmental organization that provides senior citizens with crime prevention, victim support and social advocacy services. A large part of this work involves aiding elderly victims of fraud who have been targeted due to their age-related vulnerability.
North and South America
- Region(s): El Salvador
- Overview: CCPVJ is a coalition comprising both governmental and non-governmental organizations located in Central America and Mexico. Their objectives are to promote initiatives that target youth violence, develop inclusive governmental policies, and coordinate the efforts between governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Region(s): Mexico
- Overview: IMEPI was formed in 2006 by scholars, specialists and professionals with the purpose of sharing expertise on crime prevention, security, social development, addiction, and risky behaviours. IMEPI aims to promote a culture of comprehensive prevention in both Mexico and Latin America.
- Region(s): Mexico
- Overview: Integritas Group aims to reduce the risk factors, in society, that are associated with violence and crime, while simultaneously strengthening the factors that protect members of the community from engaging in such activity.
- Region(s): United States
- Overview: NCPC was founded in 1982 with the aim of helping citizens keep themselves, their families, and their communities safe from crime. NCPC produces crime prevention publications and programmes that can be implemented in the community and in school settings. They are also responsible for public service announcements that are broadcast nationwide featuring McGruff the Crime Dog®.
- Region(s): United States
- Overview: Established in 2009 at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, NNSC focuses on supporting cities in the implementation of effective strategies to reduce violence and improve public safety, minimize arrest and incarceration, strengthen communities, and improve relationships between law enforcement and the communities it serves. The principles that guide this work are: first do no harm; strengthen communities' capacity to prevent violence; enhance legitimacy; offer help to those who want it; get deterrence right; and use enforcement strategically.
- Region(s): Canada
- Overview: Public Safety Canada was established in 2003 with the aim of ensuring coordination across all federal departments and agencies in the interests of Canada's national security and citizen safety. Public Safety Canada works to keep Canadians safe from a range of risks, including; natural disasters, crime and terrorism.
- Region(s): United States
- Overview: USAID is a United States government organization dedicated to supporting US foreign policy and providing international assistance. Aside from their humanitarian projects, the organization has implemented multiple crime prevention projects in partnership with foreign governments. For example; USAID partnered with the Government of Mexico in delivering programmes on addressing youth risk factors and drivers of violence within the community, and to refine crime prevention models and help scale-up effective crime prevention strategies. In the Dominican Republic, USAID helped prevent crime through increasing school education quality, as well as increasing economic and employment opportunities for young people.
Next: Key clearinghouses