This module is a resource for lecturers
The following readings are recommended for those interested in exploring the topics covered in this Module in more detail:
- Anirban Sengupta and Anoshua and Chaudhuri. (2011). Are social networking sites a source of online harassment for teens? Evidence from survey data. Children and Youth Services Review, Vol. 33(2), 284-290.
- Agustina, Jose R. (2015). Understanding Cyber Victimization: Digital Architectures and the Disinhibition Effect. International Journal of Cyber Criiminology, Vol. 9 (1), 35-54.
- Beauchere, Jacqueline F. (2014). Preventing Online Bullying: What Companies and Others Can Do, International Journal of Technoethics, Vol. 5(1), 69-77.
- Beyens, Jolien and Eva Lievens. (2016). A legal perspective on the non-consensual dissemination of sexual images: Identifying strengths and weaknesses of legislation in the US, UK and Belgium. International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, Vol. 47, 31-43.
- Broll, Ryan and Laura Huey. (2015). "Just Being Mean to Somebody Isn't a Police Matter": Police Perspectives on Policing Cyberbullying. Journal of School Violence, Vol. 14(2), 155-176.
- Cooper, Robyn M. and Warren Blumenfeld. (2012). Responses to Cyberbullying: A Descriptive Analysis of the Frequency of and Impact on LGBT and Allied Youth. Journal of LGBT Youth Vol. 9(2), 153-177.
- Dimond, J. P., Casey Fiesler, and Amy S. Bruckman. (2011). Domestic violence and information communications technologies. Interacting with Computers, Vol. 23(5), 413-421.
- Gagliardone, Iginio, Danit Gal, Thiago Alves, and Gabriela Martinez. (2015). Countering Online Hate Speech. UNESCO.
- Gillett, Rosalie. (2018). Intimate intrusions online: Studying the normalization of abuse in dating apps. Women Studies International Forum, available online 19 April 2018.
- Henry, Nicola, Powell, Anastasia and Flynn, Asher. (2017). Not Just 'Revenge Pornography': Australians' Experiences of Image-Based Abuse. A Summary Report.
- Internet Watch Foundation. (2017). Annual Report 2017.
- Kopecký, Kamil. (2015). Sexting Among Slovak Pubescents and Adolescent Children. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 203, 244-250.
- Langlois, Ganaele and Andrea Slane. (2017). Economies of reputation: the case of revenge porn. Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, published online 20 January 2017, 1-19. doi: 10.1080/14791420.2016.1273534.
- Maras, Marie-Helen. (2016). Cybercriminology. New York: Oxford University Press. Chapters 6, 7 and 9.
- Maras, Marie-Helen. (2015). Unprotected Speech Communicated Via Social Media: What Amounts To a True Threat? Journal of Internet Law, Vol. 19(3), 3-9.
- March, Evita, Rachel Grieve, Jessica Marrington, and Peter Jonason. (2017). Trolling on Tinder® (and other dating apps): Examining the role of the Dark Tetrad and impulsivity. Personality and Individual Differences Vol. 110, 139-143.
- Milosevic, Tijana. (2016). Social Media Companies' Cyberbullying Policies. International Journal of Communication, Vol. 10.
- Näsi, Matti, Pekka Räsänen, Atte Oksanen, James Hawdon, Teo Keipi, and Emma Holkeri. (2014). Association between online harassment and exposure to harmful online content: A cross-national comparison between the United States and Finland. Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 41, 37-145.
- Netclean. (2018). Netclean Report 2018: A Report on Child Sexual Abuse Crime.
- Oboler, Andre. (2018). How technology can be used to combat online hate speech. World Economic Forum, 13 March 2018.
- Powell, Anastasia, Henry, Nicola and Flynn, Asher. (2018). Image-Based Sexual Abuse. In Walter DeKeseredy and Molly Dragiewicz (eds) Handbook of Critical Criminology, (Chapter 25). New York: Routledge.
- Rosen, Rebecca J. (2012). What Was Reddit Troll Violentacrez Thinking? The Atlantic, 16 October 2012.
- Salter, Michael and Chris Bryden. (2009). I Can See You: Harassment and Stalking on the Internet. Information & Communications Technology Law Vol. 18(2), 99-122.
- Sheridan, L. P. & Grant, T. (2007). Is Cyberstalking Different? Psychology, Crime & Law Vol. 13(6), 627-640.
- Spence-Diehl, Emily. (2003). Stalking and Technology: The Double-Edged Sword. Journal of Technology in Human Services, Vol. 22(1), 5-18.
- Synnott, John, Andria Coulias, and Maria Ioannou. (2017). Online trolling: The case of Madeleine McCann. Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 71, 70-78.
- Watts, Lynette K., Jessyca Wagner, Benito Velasquez, and Behrens, Phyllis, I. (2017). Cyberbullying in higher education: A literature review. Computers in Human Behavior Vol. 69, 268-274.
- Williams, Matthew and Olivia Pearson. (2016). Hate Crime and Bullying in the Age of Social Media. Conference Report.