This module is a resource for lecturers
This section contains material that is meant to support lecturers and provide ideas for interactive discussions and case-based analysis of the topic under consideration.
Exercise # 1: Type of Criminal Group that Engages in Cyber Organized Crime
There are several types of organized criminal groups that engage in cybercrime.
[This exercise needs to be completed before class].
Exercise # 2: Darknet Law Enforcement Operations
Several law enforcement agencies took down darknet marketplaces (e.g., Silk Road 2.0, Pandora, AlphaBay, and Hansa). These takedowns, as well as the scam markets that appeared on the darknet, sowed seeds of mistrust in these sites.
Why is trust important in the use of darknet sites? Please explain your response.
Exercise # 3: Cryptocurrencies
There are a variety of cryptocurrencies on the market.
- Which cryptocurrency is primarily used by citizens of your country?
- Why is it used?
- Are there any other cryptocurrencies used? If so, please identify and discuss them.
- How are cryptocurrencies used by cyber organized criminals?
Having answered these questions:
- Choose one cryptocurrency. If you wanted to buy 0.05 of that cryptocurrency in your country's currency, how much would that cost?
- How would you buy this?
- Do you need to provide any identifying information and/or an identification to purchase the cryptocurrency?
- Access a darknet market. What can you buy on a darknet market with 0.05 of the cryptocurrency of your choice?
Next: Possible class structure