The UNODC Country Office in Lao PDR is seeking candidates for the position of International Consultant for its X26 Project entitled: "Strengthening Criminal Justice Responses to Human Trafficking in Lao PDR". The project is implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Justice. UNODC is a global leader in the fight against illicit drugs and international crime.
Duty station: Vientiane, Lao PDR
Duration: 21 work days (from August to September 2013)
Description of position
Under the overall guidance of the Representative of UNODC in Lao PDR, as well as the technical support of the X26 Project Coordinator, the International Consultant (IC) will assess existing Lao laws on how it addresses human trafficking, including its adherence to international law and standards, and provide recommendations on points that should be incorporated into a comprehensive human trafficking law that is scheduled to be drafted in 2014.
The UNODC X26 Project will provide administrative and other support to facilitate the work of the IC. The work will primarily take place in Vientiane. The UNODC X26 Project Office will provide office space and internet access for the IC. The project will also provide transport and translation support in order to carry out the work both in Vientiane Capital (and in the province(s) if necessary). Details will be discussed and agreed upon with the consultant after he/she is selected.
Duties and responsibilities
- Review existing national legislation relevant to human trafficking in Lao, highlighting achievements and gaps, in order to assess its current compliance with UNTOC, TIPP and other international instruments;
- Assist national experts appointed by the Government in understanding gaps in the existing national legislation's compliance with UNTOC, TIPP and other relevant international instruments, and lead discussions on formulating a new comprehensive law on human trafficking which will fully comply with the international standards; and
- Prepare recommendations to strengthen and align national legislation and its implementation with international instruments and standards.
- Draft one report (up to approximately 100 pages including annexes) on the aforementioned review and recommendations pertaining to human trafficking laws in Lao (the report may be finalized after the contract period).
Skills and qualifications
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Law with specialisation in international law and/or criminal law.
- Experience: Minimum 7 years' experience as a legal professional. Strong experience in technical assistance in the development and reform of legislation and legal systems preferably on human trafficking, victim and witness protection, organised crime and international treaties is a distinct asset. Proven and successful consultancy record is an advantage.
- Language: Fluency in English. Clear and concise writing skills, and strong presentation skills. Lao language knowledge is an advantage.
- Other: Computer literacy and working level in Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Lao's legal system and its compliance with international standards and previous work experience in technical assistance in Lao is a strong advantage. Experience in the Southeast Asia region is also an asset.
Applicants should submit a (1) letter of interest, (2) UNDP Personal History Form and (3) CV by 5 August 2013.
Applicants are requested to visit https://www.unodc.org/laopdr/en/employment.html and read the Terms of Reference for a full description of the position and application instructions.
P.O. Box 345 Rd No.1, Unit 21, Sisangvone Village, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Tel: +856 21 413204/454266 / Fax: + 856 21 413203/ email : email@example.com
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.