Strengthening the Framework of the Arab Region to Prevent and Combat Human Trafficking
Project Duration: 08/06/2011 - 08/04/2014
Total Budget: US$ 685,840
National and External Partners
Regional and International Organizations
Criminal Justice Practitioners
Victim Service Providers
Outline and Objectives
Together with the Arab Initiative for Building National Capacities to Combat Human Trafficking, this regional project will intensify and coordinate national counter-trafficking efforts in the region within a sound regional framework.
This project complements the Arab Initiative for Building National Capacities to Combat Human Trafficking, and aims at supporting the Arab League countries in the following key framework areas:
- Development of a comprehensive Arab regional action plan to prevent and combat human trafficking to, from and within the Arab Region.
- Establishment of Trafficking in Persons Coordination Unit within the League of Arab States structures.
- Complementing the legislative assistance activities of the Arab Initiative to combat human trafficking to enhance the knowledge base on the participating countries legal frameworks' compliance with the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and relevant international legal instruments.
- In-depth capacity training of criminal justice actors.
The project aims to reach these objectives through conducting regional and national specialized training workshops and by establishing a regional coordinating framework, which will bring together the potential and capabilities of all interested partners in a concerted and effective manner.
- Desk review of the current status of existing national strategies/action plans in the Arab Region conducted.
- Draft Regional Action Plan prepared and presented to the Arab League conference of Council of Ministers of Justice and Ministers of Interior.
- Establishment of a Coordination Unit on human trafficking within the Secretariat of the League of Arab States with the purpose of coordination of the implementation of the Regional Action Plan and reporting on the activities conducted in target States to counter trafficking in persons.
- Knowledge-base established through collection of reliable, updated and comparable information about the characteristics, modalities and trends of human trafficking within the Arab countries.
- Report on the compliance of target countries' legislation with the Trafficking in Persons Protocol, including recommendations finalized.
- Legislative training on Trafficking in Persons Protocol and relevant human rights instruments to parliamentarians, legislative drafters and senior officials at relevant ministries, interregional legislative workshop with delegates from the League of Arab States and country of origin.
- Adequate skills of the relevant criminal justice actors to effectively prevent and investigate human trafficking while assisting and protecting victims of human trafficking.