Anti Sex Trafficking Action (ASTRA)
|Type:||NGO working on Crime|
||The organization is a network of anti trafficking NGOs in Serbia, but each NGO is independent, working on different human rights issues and have their own offices. Mainly these networks is focusing on prevention.
The organization is coordinating these networks on all anti trafficking activities.
Since 2000 this organization has being combating all forms of trafficking in human beings covered by the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime and protocol to revent, suppress and punish trafficking in persons, especially women and children, supplementing the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime.
The organization is among the first to raise the issue of human trafficking in our country. ASTRA is a member of the National Team for Combating Human Trafficking since its inception.The organization coordinates and educates the working group on prevention.
The organization mainly works on the following programs:
1) Education, prevention program - workshops for primary and secondary school pupils, lectures for university students, trainings, seminars, lectures;
2) Non-governmental organizations, large-scale media campaigns, encompassing presentation of the problem of human trafficking to wider public through media, video spots, radio jingles, posters, leaflets, booklets, manuals, PR activities, 2002/03 - media campaign -Open Your Eyes -and 2004/05 - media campaign. There Is a Way Out - with UNDOC, 2005/6 Stop trafficking in children with Save the Children;
3) SOS Hotline and victim assistance program. In the period March 2002-June 2007 ASTRA SOS hotline received a total of 6529 calls made by 1565 clients, identifying 251 victims of trafficking. Also, we provide medical, legal and psychological assistance and counseling, accommodation for human trafficking victims;
4) Coordination and cooperation with relevant institutions, NGOs in Serbia and the region dealing with this issue, cooperation with international organizations, (OSCE, UNICEF, IOM).The ASTRA SOS Hotline has been designed as to provide information on the problem of human trafficking and on the possibilities of legal employment in foreign countries, safe migrations, legal advice on employment, support victims of trafficking and their families;
5) Networks on daily contacts with numerous NGOs from Serbia as well as from the region and international community. Local network to efficiently fight against trafficking in human beings requires a strong network of activists to cover the whole territory of our country;
6) Building connections with colleagues living outside Belgrade, i.e. with local NGOs throughout Serbia. A large segment of ASTRAs activities concerns the capacity building of these groups to address human trafficking and the strengthening of cooperation with NGOs in smaller towns in Serbia;
7) ASTRA is one of the founders of ACTA - Anti Corruption Anti Trafficking Action, which deals with human trafficking and corruption issues, gathering eleven relevant NGOs from ten European countries;
8) Research, reporting and publishes updates on
trafficking in women manual for journalists;
9) Provides working materials for trainings and trainings of trainers;
10) Shadows reports for the UN Committees, e-newsletter, peer education manual and internet as a way of recruitment.