Autonomous Women’s Center (AWC)
|Type:||NGO working on Crime|
|Other languages:||Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian|
Other:'Human Rights, Rule of Law'
We believe that a life without violence is a basic human right and accordingly we provide support to women and individuals, as well as institutional response to male violence against women, thereby contributing to strengthening the civil society.
The major achievements in 2009 - 2010
Impact on Public policies:
- Adoption of the amendments to the Motion for Law on Changes and Amendments to the Criminal Code made by the Autonomous Women’s Center in collaboration with the Women’s Research Center and Victimology Society of Serbia, and submitted to the Parliament of the Republic of Serbia by the Defender of Citizens. By virtue of these amendments the penalties for criminal act of domestic violence have been increased.
- Conducted first and only researches of judicial practice in criminal and familly procedures in the field of domestic violence
- Monitoring the implementation of gender-sensitive policies and recommendations of CEDAW Committee concluding comments and recommendations in the field of violence against women/domestic violence. Report “Mapping Gaps” presented as contribution to the State report.
- Contribution to increasing government’s responsibility in recognizing the top-priority needs of “vulnerable population” through the channels of public policies and budgets. Publication for Poverty reduction: Gender Equality and Responsible Government with main findings and recommendations published.
- Impact achieved in regard to all public documents in the field of violence against women (e.g. National Strategy for advancement of women and promoting gender equality, Provincial Strategy for the Strategy for Protection from domestic violence and other forms of gender-based initiatives in the AP Vojvodina for the period of 2008 – 2012, Draft National Strategy on preventing and Protecting from Violence against Women and Domestic Violence.
- Created Draft Comprehensive Evidence on domestic violence cases and adopted by the Government of the AP Vojvodina
Impact on professional specialization:
- During 2009 and 2010 AWC educated total of 2701 different professionals from the system of protection against domestic (Center for Social Work, Police, Courts, Prosecution office, medical centers, schools) and future professionals (students of psychology, law, pedagogy, sociology)
- 8 AWC’s educational programs for professionals were accredited by Institute for Social Protection and the Health Council of the Republic of Serbia.
- AWC is a Civil Society focal point for the target group women, appointed by the Deputy Prime Minister’s team for the implementation of a poverty reduction strategy
- AWC coordinates the Network Women Against Violence in Serbia since 1996 – with 28 women’s organizations working against violence against women in Serbia
- AWC is a co-founder of the Network from Serbia for European Women’s Lobby
- Every year since 1995, within the International campaign “16 days of activism against violence against women”, AWC has organised campaigns where women-related nongovernmental organizations from 40 towns in Serbia participated
Services for female victims of violence:
Since it was founded, AWC has provided over 30,000 services to women victims of violence (around 1,500 women a year) trough psychological and psychotherapeutic services, self-help groups, SOS phone consultations and providing information, legal consultations and legal representation