Thematic debate and round table discussions
The agenda of the Commission at each session foresees specific themes to be addressed under the item "Round-table discussions" which replaced the "Thematic debate", starting from 2011. Participants to round-table discussions are nominated by regional groups based on their expertise, to ensure a focused and interactive discussion. The Commission agreed on the following themes for the following sessions:
- Fifty-sixth session (March 2013): "Round-table discussions": on progress made in the implementation by Member States of the Political Declaration and Plan of Action on International Cooperation towards an Integrated and Balanced Strategy to Counter the World Drug Problem:
- (a) Demand reduction and related measures (b) Supply reduction and related measures; (c) Countering money-laundering and promoting judicial cooperation to enhance international cooperation.
- Fifty-fifth session (March 2012): "Round-table discussions": (a) Counter-narcotics efforts and the principle of common and shared responsibility: opportunities and challenges; (b) Measures to prevent diversion of substances frequently used in the manufacture of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances from domestic distribution channels, including by strengthening partnerships with the private sector.
- Fifty-fourth session (March 2011): "Round-table discussions:(a) Regional and international cooperation in combating the world drug problem and its connection with organized crime;
(b) Revitalization of the principle of joint and shared responsibility as the centrepiece of international cooperation to confront the challenges posed by the world drug problem, in a manner consistent with the relevant United Nations conventions and declarations;
(c) Addressing key public health and safety issues such as addictive behaviours of youth and drugged driving."
- Fifty-third session (March 2010): "Thematic debate: in the context of a balanced approach to reducing drug demand and supply, measures to enhance awareness of the different aspects of the world drug problem, including by improving understanding of how to tackle the problem".
- Fifty-second session (March 2009): "Thematic debate on tools for enhancing the effectiveness of international drug control and international cooperation in the fight against drugs, specifically: (a) Data collection for effective drug control, including on the misuse of cyberspace; (b) Strengthening of regional and cross-border cooperation, including datasharing".
- Fifty-first session (March 2008): "Thematic debate on the follow-up to the twentieth special session of the General Assembly: general overview and progress achieved by Governments in meeting the goals and targets for the years 2003 and 2008 set out in the Political Declaration adopted by the Assembly at its twentieth special session."
- Fiftieth session (March 2007): "Thematic debate on new challenges for controlling precursor chemicals"
- Forty-ninth session (March 2006): "Thematic debate on alternative development as an important drug control strategy and establishing alternative development as a cross cutting issue".
- Forty-eighth session (March 2005): "Thematic debate on drug abuse prevention, treatment and rehabilitation: (a) community capacity-building; (b) Preventing HIV/AIDS and other blood-borne diseases in the context of drug abuse prevention".
- Forty-seventh session (March 2004): "Synthetic drugs and control of precursors: production of, trafficking in and abuse of synthetic drugs, including methaqualone (Mandrax); strengthening systems for the control of precursor chemicals and to prevent diversion of and trafficking in such chemicals".
- Forty-sixth session (April 2003): No thematic debate because of the ministerial-level meeting of the Commission.
- Forty-fifth session (March 2002): "Follow-up to the Action Plan on the Eradication of Illicit Drug Crops and on Alternative Development".
- Forty-fourth session (March 2001): "Building partnerships to address the world drug problem".