- 04/02/2010New United Nations stamps feature human trafficking theme
4 February 2010 - The United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) has issued new stamps based on the human trafficking theme. The stamps are on sale from 5 February, and are available online, as well as at the UNPA offices in Geneva, New York and Vienna.
- 29/01/2010Joining Forces to Stem a Deadly Busines: Migrant Smuggling by Sea
UNODC jointly with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Greece, organized a regional conference on transnational organized crime - particularly migrant smugging by sea - from 26 to 29 January 2010 in Athens, Greece. The purpose of the conference was to strengthen and foster law enforcement cooperation and thereby enhance the capacities of authorities responsible for combating the smuggling of migrants by sea in the Mediterranean region.
55 participants from 17 countries and 5 regional and international organizations. The participants, experienced practitioners from law enforcement and prosecution working in the field of investigating and prosecution of migrant smuggling and international cooperation in criminal justice matters, shared their experience and best practices on:
- smuggling of migrants using maritime routes and effective counter measures,
- witness protection,
- targeted investigative techniques - developing intelligence-led response, and
- strengthening institutional capacities to combat the smuggling of migrants
- 28/01/2010Side event to the Working Group on Trafficking in Persons: UNODC Technical Assistance Briefing
In the margins of the Working Group on Trafficking in Persons, UNODC hosted a side event to brief delegates on the technical assistance UNODC offers to States parties in combating human trafficking and migrant smuggling.
Read more here.
- 27/01/2010Capacity Building Workshop for Magistrates and Law Enforcement Officers on Transnational Organized Crime
The Impact Programme aims to assist African states in strengthening their criminal justice response to migrant smuggling, and currently consists of three regional projects that cover North and West Africa.
In the framework of the Impact Programme UNODC in cooperation Europol, INTERPOL and SOCA elaborated a Basic Training Manual on Investigating and Prosecuting Migrant Smuggling. Between December 2008 and June 2009, three working meetings were organized in Senegal, Egypt and Nigeria respectively involving investigators and prosecutors from 30 countries, representing both common and civil law countries from Europe, Africa, North America and the Pacific region.
- 21/01/2010faqs migrant smuggling
- 18/12/2009Migrant smuggling a thriving business in Eastern Africa
18 December 2009 - As the world marks the International Migrants Day today, UNODC draws attention to the escalating plight of migrants in Eastern Africa. Political and economic instability in the region has led to even greater numbers of people risking their lives at the hands of ruthless smugglers in order to reach safety or the chance for a better life, both within and outside Africa.
- 12/11/2009Secretary-General condemns human trafficking and migrant smuggling
12 November 2009 -Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has drawn attention to the disturbing realities of human trafficking and sexual exploitation, as well as the treacherous conditions in which many migrants move and live.
- 28/08/2009UNODC releases new anti-human trafficking manual
28 August 2009 - Today at the United Nations Conference Centre in Bangkok, UNODC released a new manual that addresses gaps in the capacity of criminal justice practitioners to prevent and combat trafficking in persons.
The manual, which was launched by United States Ambassador-at-large Luis CdeBaca, elaborates promising practices at every phase of the criminal justice response to trafficking in persons.
- 18/04/2009International Cooperation Workshop Budva
- 01/04/2009Secretary General addresses Global Forum on Migration and Development
- 01/04/2009Regional Workshop on the Role of NGOs in Preventing Smuggling of Migrants
- 01/04/2009Second Expert Group Meeting on the Elaboration of Basic Training Modules on Preventing and Combating the Smuggling of Migrants
Between 23 and 25 March 2009, criminal justice practitioners met in Cairo, Egypt, to review training material on preventing and combating the smuggling of migrants.
- 01/04/2009Joint Programme in the area of Anti-Human Trafficking in Serbia
The UNODC Regional Programme Office for South East Europe (RPOSEE), the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Mission to Serbia and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Mission to Serbia organized two roundtables in Belgrade on the joint programme in the area of Anti-Human Trafficking in Serbia which was developed under the UN.GIFT.