- 21/01/2010faqs migrant smuggling
- 18/12/2009Migrant smuggling a thriving business in Eastern Africa
18 December 2009 - As the world marks the International Migrants Day today, UNODC draws attention to the escalating plight of migrants in Eastern Africa. Political and economic instability in the region has led to even greater numbers of people risking their lives at the hands of ruthless smugglers in order to reach safety or the chance for a better life, both within and outside Africa.
- 12/11/2009Secretary-General condemns human trafficking and migrant smuggling
12 November 2009 -Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has drawn attention to the disturbing realities of human trafficking and sexual exploitation, as well as the treacherous conditions in which many migrants move and live.
- 28/08/2009UNODC releases new anti-human trafficking manual
28 August 2009 - Today at the United Nations Conference Centre in Bangkok, UNODC released a new manual that addresses gaps in the capacity of criminal justice practitioners to prevent and combat trafficking in persons.
The manual, which was launched by United States Ambassador-at-large Luis CdeBaca, elaborates promising practices at every phase of the criminal justice response to trafficking in persons.
- 18/04/2009International Cooperation Workshop Budva
- 01/04/2009Secretary General addresses Global Forum on Migration and Development
- 01/04/2009Regional Workshop on the Role of NGOs in Preventing Smuggling of Migrants
- 01/04/2009Second Expert Group Meeting on the Elaboration of Basic Training Modules on Preventing and Combating the Smuggling of Migrants
Between 23 and 25 March 2009, criminal justice practitioners met in Cairo, Egypt, to review training material on preventing and combating the smuggling of migrants.
- 01/04/2009Joint Programme in the area of Anti-Human Trafficking in Serbia
The UNODC Regional Programme Office for South East Europe (RPOSEE), the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Mission to Serbia and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Mission to Serbia organized two roundtables in Belgrade on the joint programme in the area of Anti-Human Trafficking in Serbia which was developed under the UN.GIFT.
- 01/04/2009Regional Training workshop on investigating and prosecuting migrant smuggling
- 01/04/2009EGM to Review the Model Law on Combating the Smuggling of Migrants
- 01/04/2009Workshop on International Criminal Justice Cooperation in response to migrant smuggling
- 01/04/2009International Expert Group Meeting on Migrant Smuggling by Air