Objectives of the Global Programme against Money-Laundering, Proceeds of Crime and the Financing of Terrorism
Within the context of United Nations standards, the Global Programme against Money-Laundering, Proceeds of Crime and the Financing of Terrorism aims:
- To assist in the achievement of the objective set up by the General Assembly at its twentieth special session for all States to adopt legislation that gives effect to the universal legal instruments against money-laundering and countering the financing of terrorism
- To equip States with the necessary knowledge, means and expertise to implement national legislation and the provisions contained in the measures for countering money-laundering adopted by the General Assembly at its twentieth special session
- To assist beneficiary States in all regions to increase the specialized expertise and skills of criminal justice officials in the investigation and prosecution of complex financial crimes, particularly with regard to the financing of terrorism
- To enhance international and regional cooperation in combating the financing of terrorism through information exchange and mutual legal assistance
- To strengthen the legal, financial and operational capacities of beneficiary States to deal effectively with money-laundering and the financing of terrorism
Through the Global Programme, UNODC encourages States to develop policies to counter money-laundering and the financing of terrorism, monitors and analyses related problems and responses, raises public awareness about money-laundering and the financing of terrorism, and acts as a coordinator of initiatives carried out jointly by the United Nations and other international organizations.