December 14 marks the 60 th anniversary of the United Nations Narcotics Laboratory, now the UNODC Laboratory and Scientific Section.
The United Nations Narcotics Laboratory was established in 1954, in accordance with resolution 834 (IX) of the United Nations General Assembly and the Secretary-General's note of 15 October 1954 indicating the importance of setting up the United Nations laboratory within the Division of Narcotic Drugs. Originally established to carry out scientific research on opium, cannabis and other substances under international control, the Laboratory's work has been subsequently broadened according to recommendations of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs.