Working with the Counter-Terrorism Committee and its Executive Directorate
The functions of establishing counter-terrorism policy and monitoring Member States' implementation are vested in the Counter-Terrorism Committee (CTC) of the Security Council. In carrying out its functions, the Committee is supported by the Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED), which is entrusted, inter alia, with the functions of assessing Member States' implementation, identifying gaps in their implementation capacity and coordinating and facilitating availability of technical assistance to countries. While CTED itself does not deliver technical assistance, UNODC is the key UN entity providing specialized technical assistance in legal and related areas to Member States.
The distinct functions of CTC/CTED and UNODC are fully complementary and mutually supportive:
- The political, policy, coordination and facilitation work of CTC/CTED precedes and guides the work of UNODC in delivering technical assistance in the legal and related capacity-building areas;
- The technical assistance work of UNODC in turn helps CTC/CTED to verify the response to the identified gaps and needs in the counter-terrorism capacity of Member States;
- The complementary work of CTC/CTED and UNODC helps countries to fullfil their counter-terrorism obligations.
In accordance with these distinct functions:
- UNODC participates in CTC and CTED country visits, in accordance with Security Council resolution 1535 (2004);
- CTC and CTED experts participate in UNODC national and regional activities and provide briefings on the role of CTC and priorities identified in terms of Security Council resolution 1373 (2001);
- UNODC consults CTC and CTED when planning technical assistance activties;
- CTC and CTED provide guidance on the countries in need of assistance;
- UNODC provides technical assistance in the legal and related areas to those countries, upon confirmation of request;
- UNODC also assists Member States in compiling reports for submission to the CTC.