Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
Books and book chapters
- Melzer, Nils (2016). International Humanitarian law: A Comprehensive Introduction . Geneva: International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
- Peijic, Jelena (2012). "Armed Conflict and Terrorism: There is a (Big) Difference." In Ana-María Salinas de Frías, Katja L. H. Samuel, and Nigel D. White, eds. Counter-Terrorism: International Law and Practice. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Cohen, Aviv (2012). " Prosecuting Terrorists at the International Criminal Court: Reevaluating and Unused Legal Tool to Combat Terrorism." Michigan State International Law Review, vol. 20, issue 2, pp. 219-257.
- European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR)
- Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACtHR)
- Juan Carlos Abella v. Argentina (La Tablada case), No. 11.137, Report No. 55/97, 18 November 1997.
- International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
- The Prosecutor v. Anto Furundzija, (Trial Judgment), 10 December 1998, IT-95-17/1-T.
- The Prosecutor v. Dusko Tadić a/k/a 'Dule' , Decision on the Defence Motion for Interlocutory Appeal on Jurisdiction (Appeals Chamber), 2 October 1995, IT-94-1-AR72.
- The Prosecutor v. Ramush Haradinaj et al., Judgment (Trial Chamber I), 3 April 2008, IT-04-84-T.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Holder v. Humanitarian Law Project , Argued 28 February 2010 - Decided on 21 June 2010, No. 08-1498, 561 U.S. 1.
Convention, treaties and protocols
- Convention (II) with Respect to the Laws and Customs of War on Land and its annex: Regulations concerning the Laws and Customs of War on Land. The Hague, 29 July 1899.
- The Geneva Conventions . Treaty Series, vol. 75, p. 31, p. 85, p. 135 and p. 287, 12 August 1949.
- Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Protocol I) . Treaty Series, vol. 1125, no. 17512,8 June 1977.
- Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of Non-International Armed Conflicts (Protocol II) . Treaty Series, vol. 1125, no. 17513, 8 June 1977.
- International Convention Against the Taking of Hostages . New York, 17 December 1979.
- International Convention for the Suppression of Terrorist Bombings . Treaty Series, vol. 2149, p. 256, New York, 15 December 1997.
- Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict . 25 May 2000.
- Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court . 1 July 2002.
United Nations materials
- Charter of the United Nations . 24 October 1945.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1267 (1999).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1989 (2011).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 2178 (2014).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 2253 (2015).
- Chatham House (2012). " Classification of Conflicts: The Way Forward." International Law Meeting Summary.
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- (1987). Commentary to Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Protocol I), 8 June 1977 .
- (2015). " International humanitarian law and the challenges of contemporary armed conflicts." Report of the 32 nd International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent. Geneva.
- International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- Legality of the Threat or Use of Nuclear Weapons . Advisory Opinion, I.C.J. Reports 1996.
- Legal Consequences of the Construction of a Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (The Wall Opinion) . Advisory Opinion, I.C.J. Reports 2004 .
- International Criminal Court (2010). Review Conference of the Rome Statute . Kampala.
- Provost, René (2016). " Targeting Child Soldiers." EJIL: Talk! 12 January.
- ICRC. Up-to-date treaty ratification details.
- United Nations Security Council. " Security Council sanctions regime pursuant to Resolutions 1267 (1999), 1989 (2011) and 2253 (2015) concerning ISIL (Da'esh) Al-Qaida and Associated Individuals Groups Undertakings and Entities."