Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides, video material and case studies, that could help the lecturer teach the issues covered by the Module. Lecturers can adapt the slides and other resources to their needs.
- Presentation on Module 13: Non-Discrimination and Fundamental Freedoms (forthcoming)
- Video 1: Council of Europe. Interview with Ruhat Sena Akşener: How to reconcile freedom with the need for security ? Strasbourg, 18 November 2015. » Watch this interview with Ruhat Sena Akşener, who is a human rights advocate and campaigns manager, in the context of the Council of Europe World Forum for Democracy.She discusses the careful balance that needs to be struck to protect fundamental human rights and freedom whilst keeping people safe from harm. Specially, Ruhat talks about freedom of expression, the role of media, and the refugee crisis in Turkey.
- Video 2: ForumAsiaVideo. HRC29: FORUM-ASIA Statement on Freedoms of Expression, Association and Assembly, 17 June 2015 . 24 June 2015. » Interactive Dialogue with the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Rights to Freedom of Peaceful Assembly and of Association, Maina Kiai, and the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression, David Kaye. Oral Statement Delivered by Adam Adli on behalf of the Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) on issues of concern.
- Video 3: UNESCO. The African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights on Freedom of Expression . 29 September 2016. » See how the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights on Freedom of Expression promotes Freedom of Expression throughout Africa with its judgments.
- Video 4: VOA News. FBI considers new hate crime categories for Sikhs, Hindus, Arabs. 31 May 2013.
- Video 5: BBC News . Finsbury Park Mosque fears rise in Islamaphobic hate crimes. 17 July 2012.
- Video 6: AFP news agency. French Jews flee Paris suburbs over rising anti-Semitism. 30 May 2016.
Due to the cross-cutting nature of democratic rights and freedoms, the outputs of several United Nations special mandate holders are relevant, especially:
- Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression.
- Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders.
- Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance.
- Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief.
- Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights while countering terrorism.
- Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions.