This module is a resource for lecturers
Cybercriminals often use both technical and social approaches to commit crime. Some types of cybercrime are difficult to prevent, however, technology users can take certain actions to protect themselves (to an extent) from cybercrime.
Europol (2018) provides numerous public awareness and prevention guides on its website. However, even small actions can make a big difference. Below are some tips to consider when accessing the Internet.
- Keep your operating system and installed software up-to-date
- Regularly uninstall software that you no longer use
- Use an anti-virus programme from a reputable company
- Do not download software, movies or music from sharing sites - these very often have malware
- Do not download attachments or click on links from senders you do not recognize
- Do not enter personal information in unknown websites
- Confirm the correct website when entering financial information
Cybercrime prevention is explored in greater detail in Cybercrime Module 9 on Cybersecurity and Cybercrime Prevention: Practical Applications and Measures.
Back to top