Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
- Saul, Ben (2012). Terrorism. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR)
- Al-Adsani v United Kingdom (Application No 35763/97), Judgment of 21 November 2001, European Human Rights Records , vol. 34.
- Chahal v United Kingdom (Application No 22414/93) , Judgment of 15 November 1996, European Human Rights Records , vol. 23.
- N v Finland (Application No 38885/02) , Judgment of 26 July 2005, European Human Rights Records , vol.43, p.12.
- Saadi v Italy (Application No 37201/06 ) , Judgment of 28 February 2008.
- Shamayev and others v Georgia and Russia (Application No 36378/02) , Judgment of 12 April 2005.
- Omar Othman (Abu Qataba) v the United Kingdom (Application No 8139/09) , Judgment of 17 January 2012.
- International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- Barcelona Traction, Light and Power Company, Limited (Belgium v. Spain) , Second Phase, Judgment, I.C.J Reports 1970.
- Case Concerning United States Diplomatic And Consular Staff in Tehran (United States of America v. Iran), Judgments , I.C.J. Reports 1980.
- Separate opinion of Judge Ammoun in Legal Consequences for States of the Continued Presence of South Africa in Namibia (South West Africa) Notwithstanding Security Council Resolution 276 (197), Advisory Opinion, I.C.J. Reports 1971 .
- Military and Paramilitary Activities in and against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v. United States of America) , Merits, Judgment of 27 June 1986, I.C.J Reports 1986.
- Legality of the Threat or Use of Nuclear Weapons . Advisory Opinion, 8 July 1996.
- International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
- Prosecutor v. Anto Furundzija, Judgment, Decision of 10 December 1998, IT-95-17/1-T
- Republic of the Philippines Supreme Court
- Tañada et al v. Angara et al, G.R. No. 118295, May 2, 1997.
- Special Tribunal for Lebanon
- Interlocutory Decision on the Applicable Law: Terrorism, Conspiracy, Homicide, Perpetration, Cumulative Charging (2011) , STL-11-01/I/AC/R176bis.
- The Geneva Conventions . Treaty Series, vol. 75, p. 31, p. 85, p. 135 and p. 287, 12 August 1949.
- International Convention against the Taking of Hostages 1979 . Adopted 17 December 1979, entered into force 3 June 1983. Treaty Series, vol. 1316, p. 205.
- Convention relating to the Status of Refugees . 28 July 1951. Treaty Series, vol. 606, p. 267.
- International Convention for the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism . Adopted 9 December 1999, entered into force 10 April 2002. Treaty Series, vol. 2178, p. 197.
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties. Adopted 23 May 1969, entered into force 27 January 1980. Treaty Series, vol. 1155, p. 331.
- International Convention for the Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism . Adopted 13 April 2005, entered into force 7 July 2007. Treaty Series , vol. 2445, p. 89.
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Treaty Series, vol. 999, p. 171 and vol. 1057, p. 407, 16 December 1966.
- International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights . Treaty Series, vol. 993, p. 3, 16 December 1966.
- OAU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa . Treaty Series, vol. 1001, p. 45.
International Legal Instruments
- Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court . 17 July 1998.
- Statute of the International Court of Justice . Adopted 24 October 1945.
Journal / online articles
- Cheng, Bin (1952). "The Meaning and Scope of Article 38(1) of the Statute of the International Court of Justice." Transactions of the Grotius Society, vol. 38, pp. 125-134.
- Bassiouni, M. Cherif (1990). " A Functional Approach to 'General Principles of International Law'." Michigan Journal of International Law, vol. 11, issue 3, pp. 768-818.
- Dempsey, Thomas (2006). " Counterterrorism in African Failed States: Challenges and Potential Solutions." Strategic Studies Institute.
- Newman, Edward (2007). " Weak States, State Failure and Terrorism." Terrorism and Political Violence, vol. 19, issue 4, pp. 463-488.
- United Nations, High Commission for Refugees (2017). " Security and refugee protection are complementary, says UNHCR: UNHCR protection chief Volker Türk tells the UN Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee that refugee protection and state security are compatible goals." 5 April.
- Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) (2007). Countering Terrorism, Protecting Human Rights: A Manual . Warsaw: ODIHR.
- Samuel, Katja L.H., Ana-María Salinas de Friás, and Nigel D. White (2012). Multi-national Counter-Terrorism Expert Network: Report of Key Findings and Recommendations on the Rule of Law and Counter-Terrorism. Nottingham: Nottingham University.
- Charter of the United Nations . Treaty Series, vol. 1, no. XVI. Adopted 26 June 1945, entered into force on 24 October 1945.
- United Nations, General Assembly
- (1948). Resolution adopted by the General Assembly [Part A of General Assembly resolution 217 (III). International Bill of Human Rights] 217 A (III). Universal Declaration of Human Rights. 10 December. A/RES/3/217 A.
- (1960). Resolution adopted by the General Assembly: 1514 (XV). Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples . 14 December. A/RES/15/1514.
- (1985(a)). Declaration of Basic Principles of Justice for Victims of Crime and Abuse of Power . 29 November. A/RES/40/43.
- (1985(b)). Declaration on the human rights of individuals who are not nations of the country in which they live . 13 December. A/RES/40/144.
- (1989). Principles on the Effective Prevention and Investigation of Extra-legal, Arbitrary and Summary Executions . 24 May. A/RES/1989/65.
- (1993). Declaration on the Protection of all Persons from Enforced Disappearance . 12 February. A/RES/47/133.
- (1995). Measures to eliminate international terrorism . 17 February. A/RES/49/60.
- (2004). Transmittal letter dated 1 December 2004 from the Chair of the High-level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change addressed to the Secretary-General . 2 December. A/59/565.
- (2006). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy . 20 September. A/RES/60/288.
- (2008). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy . 5 September. A/RES/62/272.
- (2010). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy . 13 October. A/RES/64/297.
- (2012). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy Review . 12 July. A/RES/66/282.
- (2014). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy Review . 24 June. A/RES/68/276.
- (2015(a)). Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism: Report of the Secretary-General . 24 December. A/70/674.
- (2015(b)). Letter dated 22 December 2015 from the Secretary-General to the President of the General Assembly . 24 December. A/70/675.
- (2016(a)). Activities of the United Nations system in implementing the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy: Report of the Secretary-General . 12 April. A/70/826.
- (2016(b)). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy Review . 19 July. A/RES/70/291.
- (2016(c)). Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism . 13 September. A/71/384.
- (2017). Measures to eliminate international terrorism . 18 December. A/RES/72/123.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council
- (2016). Negative effects of terrorism on the enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms: Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights . 30 December. A/HRC/34/30.
- (2017(a)). Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism . 21 February. A/HRC/34/61.
- (2017(b)). Protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism. 20 June. A/HRC/35/L.27
- United Nations, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- (2004). Manual on the Effective Investigation and Documentation of Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment ("Istanbul Protocol") . New York and Geneva. Professional Training Series No, 8/Rev.1. HR/P/PT/8/Rev.1.
- (2015) Addressing Security Concerns Without Undermining Refugee Protection - UNHCR's Perspective . 17 December. Rev.2.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) (2009). Handbook on Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism . New York: United Nations.
- United Nations, Security Council (UNSC)
- (2004). The rule of law and transitional justice in conflict and post-conflict societies . 23 August. S/2004/616.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1267 (1999).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1373 (2001).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1566 (2004).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1989 (2011).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 2178 (2014).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 2253 (2015).
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 2370 (2017).