Information Services for Permanent Missions Information Services for Permanent Missions

User: Anonymous | Login

Permanent Missions to the United Nations (Vienna) 


For missions not listed in the UNOV Blue Book  please refer to the following links

New York Blue Book

Geneva Blue Book

This online publication of the Blue Book includes permanent missions, observer missions and offices of countries and organizations which have accredited permanent representatives or permanent observers to the United Nations (Vienna).


The Secretariat of the United Nations (Vienna) presents its compliments to the Permanent Missions/Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations (Vienna) and has the honour to advise of the introduction of the attached electronic accreditation form.

This form can be used for all accreditations, for diplomatic as well as for support staff members, appointments of (a) Chargé d'Affaires a.i. for the duration of the absence of the Permanent Representative, requests for issuance or extension of grounds passes, departures, promotions and for cancellations.

Any questions concerning the form can be addressed to UNOV Protocol:

The Missions are reminded that the Protocol Office has to be informed when members of the Mission have completed their tour of duty/assignment. The grounds passes must be returned to the Pass Office located at Checkpoint 1.


  ► Form - Instructions ◄






Why do you need accreditation with the United Nations Office at Vienna?

You need accreditation with the United Nations Office at Vienna if you want to attend meetings organized by UNOV or UNODC.

Note: you still need accreditation with UNOV even if you already have accreditation with another organization (IAEA, CTBTO, UNIDO) at the Vienna International Centre.

When you are accredited, UNOV includes your name and contact details in the "Blue Book", which is a complete listing of the diplomatic staff at the Permanent Missions.


Are you eligible for accreditation?

Only diplomats and support staff of permanent missions are eligible for accreditation. They must reside in Austria (except when the Permanent Mission is not registered in Austria).

Note: bilateral diplomatic staff of embassies are NOT eligible for accreditation.

Note: only 8 support staff from each Permanent Mission are eligible for grounds passes.

Family Pass

If you are an accredited diplomat of a permanent mission (or his or her spouse) and you have children, you can have one Family Pass for the Vienna International Centre.

Note: children below 18 years of age cannot have their own grounds pass.

Note: house hold staff are NOT eligible for accreditation.


How long does initial accreditation last?

Staff can be accredited for the periods listed below:

Diplomats:                         Three (3) years

Support staff:                     One (1) year

Trainees and interns:         Minimum Two (2) months Maximum Six (6) months

Note: UNOV does not extend the period of accreditation for trainees and interns.


How do I apply for accreditation?

To apply for accreditation, fill in the form below and attach colour copies of the following documents:

  1. A colour copy of your national passport
  2. A colour copy of:
    1. EITHER your Legitimationskarte (clearly indicating UN or other international organization at the VIC)
    2. ORyour visa and Meldezettel
  3. A colour copy of your driving licence (only if your job involves driving)

Note: all of these documents should be valid for at least six (6) months after the date of application.


How do I submit my application for accreditation?

Send your application form to the addresses below, with all the required attachments listed above, by normal post AND by e-mail.

1.         Send scanned copies of your application form and attachments by e-mail to:

2.         Send your original application and attachments by normal post to:

            UNOV Protocol Office

            Room E-1414

            PO BOX 500

            1400 Vienna


Where and when can I collect my grounds pass?

You must collect your grounds pass yourself.

Note: you must bring your national passport AND/OR your Legitimationskarte as proof of identity.

You can collect your grounds pass from the Pass Office at Gate 1.

The Pass Office is open from Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.


What do I do If I lose my grounds pass or if someone steals it?

If you lose your grounds pass or if someone steals it, UNOV will issue a replacement when you give the UNOV Protocol Office the following two documents:

  • A copy of the report from the police or the office of the Magistrat
  • A note verbale from the Permanent Mission requesting UNOV to issue a new grounds pass


How do I renew my grounds pass before it expires?

You must request an extension of your grounds pass at least two (2) weeks before it expires.

Note: UNOV automatically deletes names from its database one (1) month after grounds passes expire.


What must I do with my grounds pass when I leave the Permanent Mission?

You must return your grounds pass to the Pass Office at Gate 1 when you complete your assignment at the Permanent Mission.


What happens if the Permanent Representative is temporarily absent?

If the Permanent Representative is temporarily absent from the mission, the Permanent Representative OR the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country should designate a temporary Chargé d'Affaires. Please inform the Protocol Office about the substitution and include information on how long it will continue.

Note: a Chargé d'Affaires cannot appoint another Chargé d'Affaires.


What else do I need to know about obtaining accreditation?

  • If you do not follow these instructions, your accreditation may be delayed
  • UNOV does not notify you or the Permanent Mission when:
    • Your application is incomplete
    • Your grounds pass expires
  • UNOV kindly requests that your Permanent Mission provide a specimen copy of the signature of the head of Mission. Please provide the UNOV Protocol Office, at the address above, with a note verbale showing an original signature.


Information Services for Permanent Missions


© 2006 United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
Services provided by UNODC/DM/ITS