Open Society Foundation for Albania Soros (OSFA)
|Type:||NGO working on Crime|
|Address:||Rr. Pjetr Bogdani, Nr. 23
Other:'human rights, rule of law, independence of the judiciary, international law'
||Founded in 1992, Open Society Foundation for Albania (OSFA) Soros has now entered a new phase in its development. The evolution of the new Albanian democracy prompted the Foundation to rethink its role in the life of the Albanian society and its institutions. Faithful to its mission of creating and consolidating an open society in Albania, OSFA worked out a new plan of action to contribute to the democratization and further integration of the country with the EU.
In the present stage, OSFA has committed itself to playing an important role. It operates on a number of planes and cooperates continuously with other organizations locally as well as with entities from the public, the private and the civil society sector.
OSFA also interacts with the Network of Open Society for Albania (NOSA) representing the membership of eight non profit organizations and provides a part of the funding for their activity. OSFA is at the same time the sole channel of communication for NOSA with the Open Society Institute (OSI) in New York.
OSFA strives to achieve the following results:
- strengthened institutional capacities of NPO-s/NGO-s in aspects of organizational, advocacy, monitoring and lobbying operations of the civil society aimed at improving the quality of life;
- increased independence of the sector from the politics and strengthened credibility and integrity in the eyes of the public;
- developed self-regulating standards of non profit and non governmental organizations which produce improvements of its reputation with the public.
-putting in place an open, participatory, effective and efficient process of policy and law making;
- putting constant pressure to bear on the authorities for fair trail proceedings and access to justice;
- increasing civic participation in governance through the deepening of decentralization processes