Acting for Women in Distressing Circumstances (AFESIP - Laos)
|Type:||NGO working on Crime|
|Address:||Phonxay Village 147, Xaysetha District,
Post: P.O Box 3128, Vientiane Lao PDR
|Country:||Lao Peop. Dem. Rep.|
|Region:||Southern and Eastern Asia|
|UN Languages:||French, English|
Other:'human rights, Migration'
||Since 2006, AFESIP has worked to combat the growing problem of human trafficking for sexual exploitation of girls and women in Laos. As the only specialised NGO in this field in Lao PDR, service provision to victims of human trafficking and sexual exploitation is the key indicator for AFESIP. First and foremost, AFESIP’s success criteria has been securing victims’ rights through holistic care, using a victim-centred approach to ensure long term goals of successful and sustainable rehabilitation and reintegration. Additionally, outreach work aims to reach those still in places of exploitation and to offer them exit strategies from prostitution.
AFESIP’s rehabilitation support, including psychological and medical assessment and treatment, legal support, education and vocational training, are provided through two rehabilitation shelters in Laos. Additionally, AFESIP has established a Social Enterprise program to implement small business structures providing vocational training, job creation and income generation for victims using Fair Trade principles. This is part of AFESIP’s strategy to reintegrate victims into society in an innovative and sustainable manner.
• AFESIP social workers reintegrated 30 cases and followed up 67 cases after reintegration in 2008.
• AFEISP outreach workers visited 707 entertainment venues/beer bars, interviewed 929 cases and distributed 31966 hygienic materials in 2008.
• AFESIP Vientiane rehabilitation centre supported 27 cases in 2008.
• In Janurary 2009, AFESIP opened its second rehabilitation centre in Savannahket to cater for cases in the Southern provinces of Laos.
• AFESIP coordinated the first official repatriation to Vietnam of two cases trafficked to Laos, in collaboration with Lao and Vietnamese authorities in 2008.
• In late 2008, AFESIP Social Enterprise commenced a new project; production of organic cosmetics, which is now producing for retailers in Laos and abroad.