Friends of Life Anti-Drugs Society (FLADS)
|Type:||NGO working on Drugs|
|Address:||Nablus – West Bank –Palestine P.O.Box 1034|
|Region:||Middle East and Northern Africa|
|UN Languages:||Arabic, English|
Other:'Rule of Law, Health'
||FLADS seeks to strengthen, reinforce and immunize the Palestinian civilians and protect them from social diseases: drug taking and addiction and alcohol drinking. It also endeavours to check or curb the spread of this phenomenon in the Palestinian society through public awareness campaigns and professional programs and ancillary psychological and social counselling.
The overall goal of the society is to check the widespread of drug taking and addiction in the Palestinian society through the following:
• Increasing community awareness and youth's awareness in particular about the problem and danger of drug and alcohol addiction and the mechanisms available to get rid of this social disease through public lectures, workshops, seminars, the mass media and campaigns.
• Providing psychological and social counselling to the addict's family members to help them overcome their problems and crisis resulting from the taking of drugs by one of their members.
• Forging partnership with civil institutions and sectors concerned with drug addiction to create joint national programs to protect the Palestinian young people from drugs. This is an addition to cooperation and coordination with Arab and foreign institutions to make these programs a success.
• Training active young leaderships in the youth community to play a leading and effective role in assisting their peers to avoid slipping into the quagmire of drugs and behavioural deviation.
• Providing academic and educational training to Palestinian university students and educational institutions specialized in sciences and humanities.
• Preparing, counselling, preventive and educational awareness programs with the aim of fighting drug addiction and checking its spread in the society.
• Designing and providing rehabilitation programs for drug addicts, by a qualified professional cadre, to integrate them in the society.
• Conducting studies and research on drug addiction.
To achieve its objectives, the society works to enhance the following programs and services: awareness services, community protection and intervention.
FLADS plans to implement a number of educational awareness and drug prevention programs through training, workshops and seminars for parents, youths, students and others. To these ends, FLADS plans to do the following:
• Providing the community with pamphlets, brochures and fliers to educate it about the danger of this problem, thus affecting community awareness.
• Holding workshops, seminars and lectures for educational counsellors, psychologists and social workers to enrich their experience on how to identify drug addiction cases and how to deal with them on the level of prevention and referral.
• Holding workshops and seminars for the community to offer them guidelines on how to protect themselves and their families from drugs and how to deal with them in the right way. FLADS will target youth clubs, govern centers, university students, and youth leaderships in order to create active leaders who can help youths in times of crisis and hardships.
Academic, Educational and Professional Training Services:
• Training university students and students at other educational institutions, particularly those specialized in psychology, education, social work and nursing, and giving them the opportunity to identify the problems and provide the necessary treatment psychotherapy to the drug addict and his/her family members.
• Providing these institutions of education with references, books, CDs and video cassettes as well as fresh research and studies about drugs.