This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of open access core readings that students should complete before taking a class based on this Module. The next section recommends advanced readings for students interested in exploring the topic in more detail, and for lecturers teaching the Module.
- Covington, Stephanie S. and Bloom, Barbara E (2003). Gendered Justice: Women in the Criminal Justice System. In B. Bloom, ed. Gendered Justice: Addressing Female Offenders. Durham N.C.: Carolina Academic Press.
- Miles-Johnson, Toby (2013). LGBTI Variations in Crime Reporting: How Sexual Identity Influences Decisions to Call the Cops. SAGE Open, vol. 3(2).
- Miles-Johnson, Toby (2015). Policing Transgender People: Discretionary Police Power and the Ineffectual Aspirations of One Australian Police Initiative. SAGE Open, vol. 5(2).
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) (2016). Living Free and Equal: What States are Doing to Tackle Violence and Discrimination Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex People . Geneva: OHCHR, Chapters 1 and 2.
- The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) (2015). Gender Equality and Security Sector Reform . Geneva: DCAF.
- United Nations Human Rights Council (2015). Discrimination and violence against individuals based on their sexual orientation and gender identity - Report of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. New York: UN.
- United Nations (2006). Secretary-General's In-depth Study on All Forms of Violence against Women , A/61/122/Add.1. New York: UN, paragraphs 65-91.
- United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence Against Children (SRSG on VAC) (2015). Safeguarding the rights of girls in the criminal justice system . New York: Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence Against Children, p. 9-12.
- Van den Bergh, Brenda, Gatherer, Alex, Fraser, Andrew and Moller, Lars (2011). Imprisonment and women's health: concerns about gender sensitivity, human rights and public health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 89, No. 9, 689-694.
- Veldman, Jenny, Meeussen, Loes, Van Laar, Colette and Phalet, Karen (2017). ' Women (Do Not) Belong Here: Gender-Work Identity Conflict among Female Police Officers. Front. Psychol, vol. 8, 130.
Next: Advanced reading