Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
- Botha, Anneli (2008). " Challenges in understanding terrorism in Africa: A human security perspective." African Security Review, vol. 17, issue 2, pp. 28-41.
- Clapham, Christopher (2003). " Terrorism in Africa: Problems of definition, history and development." South African Journal of International Affairs, vol. 10, issue 2, pp. 13-28.
- Kagwanja, Peter (2006). " Counter-terrorism in the Horn of Africa: New security frontiers, old strategies." African Security Review, vol. 15, issue 3, pp. 72-86.
- Lumina, Cephas (2007). " Counter-terrorism legislation and the protection of human rights: a survey of selected international practice ." African Human Rights Law Journal, vol. 7, pp. 35-67.
- Lyons, Scott (2006). " The African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights." American Society of International Law (ASIL Insights), vol. 10, issue. 24.
- Marongwe, Ngonidzashe (2015). " International Terrorism Potential in Southern Africa." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, vol. 38, issue 9, pp. 776-793.
- Mylonaki, Emmanouela (2015). " An Overview of the Western African Response to the International Counter-Terrorism Legal Framework." Pecs Journal of International and European Law, 2015 II, pp. 18-27.
- Nathan, Laurie (2010). " The African Union and regional organisations in Africa: communities of insecurity." African Security Review, vol. 19, issue 2, pp. 106-113.
- Sceats, Sonya (2009). " Africa's New Human Rights Court: Whistling in the Wind?" Chatham House, Briefing Paper, International Law. March. IL BP 09/01.
- Udombana, Nsongurua J. (2005). " Battling Rights: International Law and Africa's War on Terrorism." African Year Book of International Law, vol. 13, pp. 65-130.
- OAS, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (2002). Report on Terrorism and Human Rights . 22 October. OEA/Ser.L/V/II.116 (Doc. 5 rev. 1 corr.).
- OAS, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (2015). Violence, Children and Organized Crime . 11 November. OEA/Ser.L/V/II. Doc. 40/15.
- Rosand, Eric, Alistair Millar and Jason Ipe (2008). Implementing the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in the Latin America and Caribbean Region . Center on Global Counterterrorism Cooperation.
- Basnet, Gyan (2014). " Human Rights System for SAARC: Problems and Perspectives." FOCUS, vol. 76.
- Devotka, Anurag (2013-2014). " Prospects of European Mechanism of Human Rights Protection in South ASIA; A Comparative Analysis of European Model with the SAARC." PROLAW 2013-2014. Edited by Venera Ramaj. PROLAW 2013-2014.
- Human Rights in China (2011). Counter-Terrorism and Human Rights: The Impact of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization: A Human Rights in China Whitepaper .
- International Commission of Jurists (2013). The ASEAN Human Rights Declaration: Questions and Answers .
- Jabeen, Mussarat, and Ishtiaq A. Choudhry (2013). " Role of SAARC for Countering Terrorism in South Asia." South Asian Studies, vol. 28, issue 2, pp. 389-403.
- Quane, Helen (2015). " The Significance of an Evolving Relationship: ASEAN States and the Global Human Rights Mechanisms." Human Rights Law Review, vol. 15, issue 2, pp. 283-311.
- Renshaw, Catherine S. (2013). " The ASEAN Human Rights Declaration - Cause for Celebration?" Regarding Rights, 25 January.
- Soesilowati, Sartika (2011). " ASEAN's Response to the Challenge of Terrorism." Masyarakat, Kebudayaan dan Politik, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 228-241.
- Tan, See Seng and Hitoshi Nasu (2016). " ASEAN and the Development of Counter-Terrorism Law and Policy in Southeast Asia." UNSW Law Journal, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 1219-1238.
- Xiaodong, Zhao (2012 ). The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and Counter-Terrorism Cooperation . Institute for Security and Development Policy: Stockholm-Nacka.
- Council of Europe, Secretary General (2016). State of Democracy, Human Rights and the Rule of Law; A Security Imperative for Europe. Report by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe.
- De Búrca, Grainne (2010). " The European Court of Justice and the International Legal Order after Kadi." Harvard International Law Journal, vol. 51, no. 1.
- European Commission for Democracy through Law (Venice Commission) (2010). Report on Counter-Terrorism Measures and Human Rights . Adopted by the Venice Commission at its 83 rd Plenary Session (Venice 4 June 2010). Study no. 500/2008. CDL-AD(2010)002.
- Gerards, Janneke, and Hanneke Senden (2009). " The Structure of Fundamental Rights and the European Court of Human Rights." International Journal of Constitutional Law, vol. 7, issue 4, pp. 619-653.
- Moller, Bjorn (2008). " European Security: The Role of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe." Crisis States Working Papers Series, no. 2. Working Paper 30 Regional and Global Axes of Conflict.
Middle East and Gulf region
- Al-Midani, Mohammed. " The Enforcement Mechanisms of the Arab Charter on Human Rights and the Need for an Arab Court of Human Rights." Arab Center for International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Education. (Accessed 27 April 2018).
- Ghormade, Vijay N. (2004). Analytical Framework of the Protection of Human Rights under the Arab Charter on Human Rights .
- International Commission of Jurists (2015). The Arab Court of Human Rights: A Flawed Statute for an Ineffective Court . Switzerland.
- Kayaoğlu, Torun (2012). It's Time to Revise The Cairo Declaration of Human Rights in Islam . 23 April.
- Mattar, Mohamed Y. (2013). " Article 43 of the Arab Charter on Human Rights: Reconciling National, Regional, and International Standards." Harvard Human Rights Journal, vol. 26, pp.91-147.
- Naskou-Perraki (2009). The Arab Charter on Human Rights: A new start for the protection of human rights in the Arab world .
- Organization of Islamic Cooperation, Independent Permanent Human Rights Commission (2014). The Negative Impacts of Economic and Financial Sanctions on the Full Enjoyment of Human Rights of People of the OIC Targeted Countries. OIC/IPHRC/REP/ECO-SANC/2014/CFM-4.
- Zerrougui, Leila (2008). The Arab Charter on Human Rights . 25 th anniversary of the University of Essex Human Rights Centre conference paper.