The Economic and Social Council,
Having considered resolution VI of the fifteenth session of the Commission on the Status of Women,84/ and resolution 6 (XIII) of the thirteenth session of the Social Commission,85/ in which each of these commissions urge that their membership be increased; as well as resolution IV of the Plenipotentiary Conference for the Adoption of a Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs,86/ which urges that the membership in the Commission on Narcotic Drugs be increased,
Noting that there has been a considerable increase in the membership of the United Nations since the establishment of the functional commissions of the Council,
Believing that it is desirable, in order to provide greater opportunities for participation in the economic and social activities of the United Nations, that the functional commissions should be enlarged,
Believing further in the importance of ensuring an equitable geographical distribution in the membership of the functional commissions,
Decides (further) that:
1. The membership of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs shall be increased to twenty-one members to be elected from among the Members of the United Nations and of the specialized agencies and the Parties to the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961;
2. The members shall be elected with due regard to the adequate representation of countries which are important producers of opium or coca leaves, of countries which are important in the field of the manufacture of narcotic drugs, and of countries in which drug addiction or the illicit traffic in narcotic drugs constitutes an important problem;
3. The members elected shall hold office from 1 January of the year following their election until 31 December of the last year of their term of office and shall be elected, subject to the provisions of part III, paragraph 2 below, for a term of office of three years;
4. The terms of office of five, to be determined by lot, of those members of the Commission which in 1949 were elected for an indefinite period shall end on 31 December 1964 and the terms of office of the remaining five on 31 December 1963;
1. Recognizes the importance of ensuring an equitable geographical distribution in the membership of the functional commissions;
2. Decides that the election to fill the vacancies created by the enlargement of the commissions shall take place at the resumed part of the thirty-second session of the Council, and that it shall be determined by lot which countries in the initial stage serve for terms of one, two, or three years;
3. Requests the Secretary-General to inform the Members of the United Nations and, so far as the Commission on Narcotic Drugs is concerned, of the specialized agencies, of the increases in the membership of these commissions and invite them to indicate to him by 1 December 1961 to which commissions they would propose to put forward their candidatures for election at the resumed thirty-second session of the Council.
1180th plenary meeting,
3 August 1961.
84/ Ibid., Thirty-second Session, Supplement No. 7 (E/3463) chap. XIV.
85/ Ibid., Supplement No. 12 (E/3489), para. 118.