Joint Second Meeting of UN-CTS Focal Points and ICCS Technical Advisory Group
The joint Second Meeting of Focal Points of the United Nations Survey of Crime Trends (UN-CTS) and of members of the Technical Advisory Group on the ICCS (ICCS-TAG) was held in Lima, Peru, on 7-8 June 2018. The meeting was organized by the Research and Trends Analysis Branch of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) with support from the National Institute of Statistics and Informatics of Peru (INEI) and the UNODC-INEGI Centre of Excellence for Statistical Information on Government, Victimization of Crime, Public Security and Justice. The meeting was held back-to-back to the 4th International Conference on Governance, Crime and Justice Statistics, which took place in Lima on 4-6 June 2018.
The meeting took place in the framework of UNODC activities to implement the 'Roadmap to improve the quality and availability of crime statistics at the national and international level' (E/CN.3/2013/11 and E/CN.3/2015/8) and reviewed the progress made in relation to the United Nations Surveys on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (UN-CTS) review process and related challenges, existing needs and tools to monitor Sustainable Development Goals in the areas of crime, violence and access to justice and on the progress made in implementing the International Classification of Crime for Statistical Purposes (ICCS).
The objectives of the meeting were:
- To discuss the contents of the draft ICCS Implementation Manual, which was disseminated to Focal Points and TAG-ICCS members in advance to the meeting, and to establish the steps required to finalize the Manual
- To discuss the progress of ICCS implementation in countries around the world and existing challenges
- To discuss the draft guidelines for the use of victimization surveys in reporting on selected SDG indicators in the area of security, violence, access to justice and fear of crime
- To review methodological work on a number of SDG indicators in the area of crime, violence, trafficking and organized crime
- To review the experience of Focal Points and data providers with the first round of data collection through the newly revised UN-CTS and to discuss ways to improve the data collection process.
List of Participants
Report of the Second Joint UN-CTS ICCS-TAG Meeting 2018
Session 1 SDG Indicator on Prevalence of Discrimination (OHCHR)
Session 2 ICCS: Global Update and Implementation Manual (UNODC)
Session 4 Joint Eurostat-UNODC Data Collection: Implementing Revised CTS (EUROSTAT)
Session 4 The Revised UN-CTS: Introduction and Selected Results of First Data Collection (UNODC)
Session 6 SDG Indicators based on Victimization Surveys (UNODC)
Session 7 Assessing the Quality of Crime Statistics (UNODC-INEGI CoE)
Session 7 Homicide Data Quality Assessment Framework (UNODC)
Session 7 ICCS Implementation: The Ugandan Experience (Uganda Ministry of Justice)