Tashkent is the capital of Uzbekistan and the largest city in Central Asia (2,518,428 inhabitants; 15,300 sq km). Chilanzar is a district located in the south-west of Tashkent, Uzbekistan. With a population of approximately 250,000 in an area of 2994 ha, Chilanzar is one of the most densely populated areas in Tashkent.
Chilanzar district is characterized by well-developed municipal services (including water, electricity and sewage) and social infrastructure, including health care institutions, pre-school and educational institutions. Unemployment and labor migration, social vulnerability of families, addictive behavior, traffic violations, theft and fraud are of serious concern. UNODC’s Urban Safety Governance Assessment is currently underway and results of the Assessment are expected in the third quarter of 2020.
The Report on the Urban Safety Governance Assessment in Mathare, Nairobi City - The assessment aimed to identify local challenges and opportunities related to urban safety and good governance and develop appropriate strategies and policies... read more
The UN Comprehensive Response to COVID-19 - Launched by the UN Secretary-General, the Policy Brief calls for conscious policy choices in order to save lives, protect societies, recover better... read more & watch
COVID-19 Response & Complex Emergencies - UNODC co-convened the thematic session: 'Bolstering local action to control the pandemic and accelerate implementation' ahead of the High Level Political Forum 2020... read moreNewsroom
- Population in city area : 1,978,028 people.
- The city represented 8.7 percent of the total population of Uzbekistan in 2000, falling to 7.5 percent of the population by 2019.
- The cost-of-living is most dramatically higher in the city (550 percent of the national average).
What we know:
- Uzbekistan has one of the lowest rates of internal migration in the world, leading to persistent economic imbalances.
- Tashkent’s population only grew by 17 percent, while the Tashkent region (surrounding the city) was the next slowest growing, at 23 percent.
- The employment rate among people aged 15-65 stood at 41 percent in rural areas, at 46 percent in urban areas, and at 57 percent Tashkent city.