Call for Participation
Participation of non-governmental stakeholders in Constructive Dialogues for the UNTOC
The first Constructive Dialogues for the Review Mechanism of the UN Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC) and the Protocols thereto are taking place in Vienna this year, focusing on the topics of Firearms, International Cooperation and Technical Assistance, as well as Smuggling of Migrants and Trafficking in Persons.
The Procedures and rules
for the functioning of the Mechanism for the Review of the Implementation of UNTOC and the Protocols thereto, which the Conference of the Parties to UNTOC adopted through Resolution 9/1
, set out in paragraph 53 that constructive dialogues with relevant stakeholders, including non-governmental organizations, should be convened as a regular practice following the conclusion of the sessions of the working groups and the adoption of the reports. Other relevant stakeholders, including representatives of the private sector and academia, may also apply to participate.
- Constructive Dialogue on Firearms : 6 May
- Constructive Dialogue on International Cooperation and Technical Assistance: 27 May
- Constructive Dialogue on Smuggling of Migrants and Trafficking in Persons: 1 July
Objectives of the Constructive Dialogue:
Briefing participants on the development and outcomes of the review process.
Collecting inputs and suggestions from participants, including their contributions on ways to improve the implementation of the Convention and the Protocols thereto.
Cooperating with non-governmental organizations to combat transnational organized crime and to promote and review the implementation of this Convention, in accordance with article 32, paragraph 3 (c), of the Convention.
- Please find further information on Constructive Dialogues here.
- For more information on the Working Group on Firearms click here.
- International Cooperation and Technical Assistance:
- For more information on the Working Group on International Cooperation click here.
- For more information on the Working Group on Technical Assistance click here.
- Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants:
- For more information on the Working Group on Trafficking in Persons click here.
- For more information on the Working Group on the Smuggling of Migrants click here.
The Constructive Dialogues are held in English language and in a hybrid format at the Vienna International Centre and online through Interprefy platform. In-person participation will be limited in accordance with COVID-19 measures in place at the time of the meetings and all participants will be required to comply with those measures. Information on COVID-19 measures in Austria, including vaccination and testing requirements, is available here in 17 different languages, including English.
In view of the size of the available meeting room and distancing requirements, the number of in-person participants per organization will be limited to one person plus one alternate. For this reason, in case an organization plans to nominate more than two participants, it should be specified who would join in-person, when submitting the application form. Other participants from the organization should join online (currently there is no limit to online participation).
Important information about Constructive Dialogues
- The Constructive Dialogues will be conducted by the Chair of the respective working group, assisted by the Secretariat.
- No specific country situation shall be mentioned during the constructive dialogues except by the country under review, which may voluntarily raise matters related solely to its own review.
- The constructive dialogue is open to States parties and signatories, non-signatories, entities and intergovernmental organizations.
- A written summary of the discussions will be prepared by the Chair of the Working Group and be made available to the Working Group at its next session.
Funding for grassroots and victim-led / victim centred organizations
As regards to the in-person participation, UNODC has limited resources to support the participation of grassroots organizations and victim-led / victim-focused organizations which will be considered on a merit basis. Should your organization require support to participate, please complete the section on ‘travel support’ included in the registration form.
For more information contact email@example.com