Volume A for trainers - Basics of Addiction, Screening, Assessment, Treatment Planning and Care Coordination
Volume A is designed to familiarise professionals providing drug treatment services with two essential tools: Alcohol, Smoking, and Substance Involvement Screening Test (ASSIST) for screening in primary care, and Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for assessment of severity of substance use related problems.
Introductory module briefly explains what substance use disorders are, gives an overview of most commonly misused substances and of their impact on human health, as well as presents the key concepts and public health approaches to harmful substance use. This module consists of one workshop which may also be used independently or as an introductory session to other volumes.
Module 1 is designed to familiarise staff working in drug treatment facilities with the ASSIST, that teach how to identify individuals with substance use disorders and how to conduct a brief intervention.
Module 2 is aimed at clinical staff in treatment facilities, and teaches how to conduct a comprehensive intake assessment and collect clinical information necessary for treatment planning with the help of ASI.
Finally, Module 3 adds a practical component and is designed to enhance skills, which are required to develop comprehensive treatment plans.
All powerpoint presentations and pre/post-assessment tests are password protected.
Module 1: Screening and Brief Intervention Using ASSIST
Workshop 1: Rationale for screening and brief intervention
Workshop 2: ASSIST screening basics
Workshop 3: ASSIST brief intervention basics
Workshop 4: Planning and implementation of ASSIST
Module 2: Addiction Severity Index
Workshop 1: Interviewing instructions and coding
Workshop 2: Employment section. Drug and alcohol
Workshop 3: Legal and family sections
Workshop 4: Psychiatric section, review and competency measures
Module 3: Treatment Planning M.A.T.R.S.
Workshop 1: Assessment tools in treatment planning
Workshop 2: Prioritising problems
Workshop 2: Putting treatment planning M.A.T.R.S. into practice
1. Trainee Satisfaction Survey
2. Pre/post-assessment test Introductory module (password-protected)
3. Pre/post-assessment test Module 1 (password-protected)
4. Pre/post-assessment test Module 2 (password-protected)
5. Pre/post-assessment test Module 3 (password-protected)
6. Handout Introductory module: Worksheet Categories of Drugs
7. Handout Module 1 Workshop 1: ASSIST for Cannabis
8. Handout Module 1 Workshop 3: How To Cut Down on Your Drinking
9. Handout Module 2: Addiction Severity Index Treatnet version
10. Handout Module 2: ASI Treatnet - Q by Q Manual
11. Worksheets Module 3: 3-5 Treatment Plan Forms
12. Handout Module 3 Workshop 1: Case Studies
13. Handout Module 3: Master Problem List
14. Handout Module 3 Workshop 1: ASI Narrative Report
15. Script Module 3 Workshop 2: Case Note Scenario
16. Handout Module 3 Workshop 2: SOAP Note
17. Handout Module 3 Workshop 2: Example of ASI Treatment Plan - Medical Domain
18. Worksheet Module 3 Workshop 2: M.A.T.R.S. Objectives and Interventions
19. Worksheet Module 3 Workshop 3: Writing Documentation