This module is a resource for lecturers
The following readings are recommended for students interested in exploring the topics of this Module in more detail, and for lecturers teaching the Module:
- Ashworth, Andrew (2007). Sentencing. In M. Maguire, R. Morgan, R. Reiner, eds. The Oxford Handbook of Criminology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bernardi, Alessandro (2016). Prison Overcrowding and Alternatives to Detention: European Sources and National Legal Systems. Italy: Jovene Editore.
- Cavadino, Michael and Dignan, James (2007). The Penal System: An Introduction. London: Sage Publications.
- Cohen, Stanley (1985). Visions of Social Control: Crime, Punishment and Classification Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Columbia University Justice Lab (2018). Too big to succeed: The impact of the growth of community corrections and what should be done about it . New York: Columbia University.
- Council of Europe (2010). Recommendation CM/Rec (2010) on the Council of Europe Probation Rules . Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Council of Europe (2017). Recommendation CM/Rec (2017) 3 on the European Rules on community sanctions and measures . Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Cullen, Francis and Gendreau, Paul (2001). From Nothing Works to What Works: Changing Professional Ideology in the 21st Century. The Prison Journal, vol. 81, No. 3, 313-38.
- Cunneen, Chris (2011). Postcolonial Perspectives for Criminology. In M. Bosworth and C. Hoyle, eds. What is Criminology? Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cunneen, Chris and Tauri, Juan (2018). Indigenous Criminology. In A. Brisman, E. Carrabine and N. South, eds. The Routledge Companion to Criminological Theory and Concepts. Abingdon: Routledge.
- De Vos, Helene, Gilbert, Elli and Aertsen, Ivo (2014). Reducing prison population: Overview of the legal and policy framework on alternatives to imprisonment at the European level. KU Leuven: Leuven Institute of Criminology.
- Dünkel, Frieder, Thiele, Christoph and Trieg, Judith (2017). " You'll never stand alone": Electronic Monitoring in Germany. European Journal of Probation, vol. 9, No. 1, 28-45.
- Dünkel, Frieder, Grzywa-Holten, Joanna and Horsfield, Philip (2015). Restorative Justice and Mediation in Penal Matters: A stock-taking of legal issues, implementation strategies and outcomes in 36 European countries. Mönchengladbach: Forum Verlag Godesberg.
- Edgar, Kimmett and Newell, Tim (2006). Restorative Justice in Prisons: A Guide to Making it Happen. Winchester: Waterside Press.
- Graebsch, Christine and Burkhardt, Sven-U (2014). Ambulant Sanctions as an Alternative to Imprisonment in the European Union?.Bulgaria: Center for the Study of Democracy.
- Hudson, Barbara (2003). Understanding Justice. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (2017a). Measures to Reduce Pretrial Detention . Washington, D.C.: Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
- Mauer, Marc (2017). Incarceration Rates in an International Perspective . Oxford: Oxford Research Encyclopaedia of Criminology.
- McGuire, James (2013). 'What Works' to Reduce Re‐offending: 18 Years on. In L. A. Craig, L. Dixon, T. A. Gannon, eds. What Works in Offender Rehabilitation: An Evidence‐Based Approach to Assessment and Treatment. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- McNeill, Fergus (2018a). Pervasive Punishment: Making Sense of Mass Supervision. Bingley: Emerald Publishing Limited.
- McNeill, Fergus (2018b). " Mass supervision, misrecognition and the 'Malopticon'". Punishment and Society, First Published Online 29 January 2018.
- McNeill, Fergus and Whyte, Bill (2007) Reducing Reoffending: Social Work and Community Justice in Scotland. Cullompton, Devon: Willan Publishing .
- McNeill, Fergus, Raynor, Peter and Trotter, Chris (2010) . Offender Supervision: New Directions in Theory, Research and Practice. Cullompton, Devon: Willan Publishing .
- O'Hear, Michael (2017). The Failed Promise of Sentencing Reform. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger
- Padfield, Nicola (2005). 'Back door sentencing': Is recall to prison a penal process? Cambridge Law Journal, vol. 64, No. 2, 276-279.
- Pitts, James M.A., Griffin III, O. Hayden and Johnson, W. Wesley (2014). Contemporary prison overcrowding: short-term fixes to a perpetual problem. Contemporary Justice Review, vol. 17, No. 1, 124-139.
- Shackleton, Robert (1972). The greatest happiness of the greatest number: The history of Bentham's phrase. Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century, vol. 90, 1461-1482.
- The Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice (2012). Reducing Reoffending: Review of Selected Countries. Glasgow: The Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice.
- Tonry, Michael (2017). Community Punishments in a Rational Society. In E. Luna, ed. Reforming Criminal Justice - Punishment, Incarceration, and Release. Minnesota: Academy for Justice.
- United Nations (1991). United Nations Principles for the Protection of Persons with Mental Illness , A/RES/46/119. New York: UN.
- UNODCCP (1999). Handbook on Justice for Victims: On the use and application of the Declaration of Basic Principles of Justice for Victims of Crime and Abuse of Power. New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2006a). Compendium of United Nations Standards and Norms in Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice . New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2006c). Custodial and Non-Custodial Measures: Alternatives to Incarceration . New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2008). Drug Dependence Treatment: Interventions for drug users in prison, Good practice documents. New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2013b). A Second Chance: A Report on Alternatives to Imprisonment and the Social Reintegration of Offenders in Kenya. Vienna: UNODC.
- UNODC and the World Health Organization (2018). Treatment and Care for People with Drug Use Disorders in Contact with the Criminal Justice System . Vienna: UNODC and WHO.
- Walmsley, Roy (2018). World Prison Population List, twelfth edition . London: ICPR, World Prison Brief.
- Zedner, Lucia (2004). Criminal Justice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Next: Student assessment
Back to top