Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
International/regional human rights treaties
- United Nations, Human Rights Committee (1982). General Comment No. 6: Article 6 (Right to Life) . 30 April. HRI/GEN/1/Rev.1.
- European Court of Human Rights, Research and Library Division (2016). International and National Courts Confronting Large-Scale Violations of Human Rights - Terrorism . Council of Europe.
Armed conflict/international humanitarian law/extra-territorial application
- Doswald-Beck, Louise (2006). " The Right to Life in Armed Conflict: Does International Humanitarian Law Provide all the Answers?" International Review of the Red Cross, vol. 88, no. 864, pp. 881-904.
- Neuman, Gerald L. (2003). " Humanitarian Law and Counterterrorist Force." European Journal of International Law, vol. 14, pp. 283-298.
- Rusinova, Vera (2014). " The Right to Life in Light of the Integration between the Norms of International Humanitarian and Human Rights Law." Higher School of Economics Research Paper No. WP BRP 38/LAW/2014.
- Von Schorlemer, Sabine (2003). " Human Rights: Substantive and Institutional Implications of the War Against Terrorism ." European Journal of International Law, vol. 14, pp, 265-282.
- Todeschini, Vito (2016). " The Relationship between International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law in the African Commission's General Comment on the Right to Life." EJIL: Talk! 7 June.
- Goldman, Robert K. (2013). " Extraterritorial Application of the Human Rights to Life and Personal Liberty, including Habeas Corpus, during Situations of Armed Conflict." In Robert Kolb and Gloria Gaggioli eds. The Research Handbook on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Skogly, Sigrun I. Extraterritoriality - Universal Human Rights without Universal Obligations? (Accessed 16 May 2018).
Arbitrary deprivation of life/death penalty/enforced disappearance
- Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development. APWLD Submission on a Gender-Sensitive Approach to Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Killing .
- United Nations, General Assembly (2017). Extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions . 25 January. A/RES/71/198.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council (2017). Report of the Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions on a gender-sensitive approach to arbitrary killings . 6 June. A/HRC/35/23.
- Asian Centre for Human Rights (2015). The Right to Life: Death Penalty and the UN Human Rights Committee . 20 October.
- International Bar Association (2008). The Death Penalty under International Law: A Background Paper to the IBAHRI Resolution on the Abolition of the Death Penalty . London: International Bar Association.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council (2017). Report of the Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances . 31 July. A/HRC/36/39.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council (2017). Report of the Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances: Follow-up Report to the Recommendations made by the Working Group . 7 September. A/HRC/36/39/Add.3.
Back to top