Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
- Okafor, Obiora Chinedu (2007). The African Human Rights System: Activist Forces and International Institutions. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Olowu, Dejo (2009). An Integrative Rights-Based Agenda for Human Development in Africa. Pretoria: Pretoria University Law Press.
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (ACommHPR)
- Amnesty International v. Zambia. (2000) AHRLR 325 (ACHPR 1999).
- Commission Nationale des Droits de l'Homme et des Libertés v. Chad (2000) ALRLR (ACHPR 1995).
- Free Legal Assistance Group and Others v. Zaire (2000) AHRLR 74 (ACHPR 1995).
- Media Rights Agenda and Others v . Nigeria (2000) AHRLR 2000.
- Sudan Human Rights Organisations and the Sudan 296/05 - Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions/The Sudan', Communications 279/03 -EX.CL/600(XVII) 135.
- European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR)
- A and Others v. The United Kingdom (App no 3455/05), Judgment of 19 February 2009.
- Hassan v. The United Kingdom (29750/09), Judgement (Grand Chamber) 16 September 2014.
- Klass and Others v . Germany , 6 September 1978, Series A, No. 2 (1979-1980 ), European Human Rights Reports, vol. 2, p. 214.
- Lawless v . Ireland (No 3) (App No 332/57), Judgment of 1 July 1961.
- Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACtHR)
- Durand and Ugarte v. Peru , (Judgment on the merits),16 August 2000, Series C No 68.
- Montero-Aranguren et al. (Detention Center of Catia) v . Venezuela , Judgment of July 5 2006, Series C No. 150.
- Zambrano Vélez et al v . Ecuador , (Judgment on Merits, Reparations and Costs), 4 July 2007 , C Series No 166.
Conventions, treaties and protocols
- American Convention on Human Rights . San José, Costa Rica, 22 November 1969.
- Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhumane or Degrading Treatment or Punishment . Treaty Series, vol. 1465, p. 85, New York, 10 December 1984.
- European Convention on Human Rights . Rome, 4 November 1950.
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights . Treaty Series, vol. 999, p. 171, New York, 16 December 1966.
- Organization of African Unity Convention on the Prevention and Combating of Terrorism . Algiers, 14 July 1999.
- Bondzie-Simpson, Ebow (1988). " A Critique of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights." Harvard Law Journal, vol. 31, issue 4, pp. 643-665.
- Mutua, Makau (1999). " The African Human Rights Court: A Two-Legged Stool?" Human Rights Quaterly, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 342-363.
- Okere, B. Obinna (1984). " The Protection of Human Rights in Africa and the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights: A Comparative Analysis with the European and American Systems." Human Rights Quaterly, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 141-159.
Reports and commentaries
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (2015), 56 th Ordinary Session. Banjul, 21 April - 7 May.
- Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights (2017). State of emergency: proportionality issues concerning derogations under Article 15 of the European Convention on Human Rights . AS/Jur 03. 27 February.
- Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACtHR)
- (1987(a)). Habeas Corpus in Emergency Situations (Arts. 27(2), 25(1) and 7(6) American Convention on Human Rights). Advisory Opinion OC-8/87. 30 January.
- (1987(b)). Judicial Guarantees in States of Emergency (Arts. 27(2), 25 and 8 American Convention on Human Rights) . Advisory Opinion OC-9/87. 6 October.
- International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)
- International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- (1996). Legality of the Threat or Use of Nuclear Weapons . Advisory Opinion, 8 July.
- (2004). Legal Consequences of the Construction of a Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (The Wall Opinion). Advisory Opinion, 9 July.
United Nations materials
- United Nations General Assembly
- (2005). Protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism . 16 December.Resolution 60/158.
- (2006(a)). The United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy . 8 September. Resolution 60/288.
- (2006(b)). Protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism .. 19 December. Resolution 61/171.
- United Nations Human Rights Committee (2001). General Comment No. 29: Article 4: Derogations during a State of Emergency . 31 August. CCPR/C/21/Rev.1/Add.11.
- United Nations Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner (2017). Two UN rights experts urge France to bring its draft counter-terrorism law in compliance with its international human rights obligations . 27 September.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- (2014). Human Rights and Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism . New York: United Nations.
- (2017). Kenya: Human Rights and Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism . New York: United Nations.