- Legal definitions of organized crimes
- Criminal association
- Definitions in the Organized Crime Convention
- Criminal organizations and enterprise laws
- Enabling offence: obstruction of justice
Published in April 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
Possible class structure
This section contains recommendations for a teaching sequence and timing intended to achieve learning outcomes through a three-hour class. The lecturer may wish to disregard or shorten some of the segments below in order to give more time to other elements, including introduction, icebreakers, conclusion or short breaks. The structure could also be adapted for shorter or longer classes, given that the class durations vary across countries.
- (In-class) Ice-breaker (10-15 minutes): Ask students whether they have ever had encounters with a criminal organization, be that a street gang or a motorcycle club engaged in illicit activities. Could one be charged with membership in a criminal organization if caught in a bar or any other public place, socializing with a member of a criminal group?
- Give a brief lecture about the conspiracy and criminal association approaches to organized crime based on the Module narrative (35-40 minutes).
- Use some discussion questions (provided in the Module) to generate a debate about the topics covered in the lecture (20-25 minutes).
- Watch a short video about the history of RICO in the United States (included in the Module).
- Break (10 minutes)
- Administer and evaluate Quiz 2 (45 minutes): Give students 15 minutes to take Quiz 2 (10 questions; sample questions are provided in the assessment section of the Module). Students can work in pairs to grade the quiz. They exchange quizzes and grade each other's results. Instructor asks individual students to read questions and discuss possible answers. This activity is expected to help students analyse the mistakes and learn from interaction with each other.
- Assign one of the research and independent study assignments as part of homework for the next class.