This module is a resource for lecturers
Possible class structure
This section contains recommendations for a teaching sequence and timing intended to achieve learning outcomes through a three-hour class. The lecturer may wish to disregard or shorten some of the segments below in order to give more time to other elements, including introduction, icebreakers, conclusion or short breaks. The structure could also be adapted for shorter or longer classes, given that the class durations vary across countries.
Ideally, to allow all students to reflect on and share their experiences, up to an hour could be spent on each exercise and the lecturer could choose to conduct only one or two of the exercises described in the Module.
Introduction (15 mins)
- Introduce relevant terms and provide an overview of the historical context of EoC. Use Gilligan, Noddings, Tronto as sources.
Ethics of Care (25 mins)
- Discuss EoC and the moral duty of care (including Singer's Higher Duty).
Gender discrimination (40 mins)
- Discuss gender discrimination including sexism, and conduct Exercise 1 (Privilege is invisible to those who have it) or Exercise 2 (Power walk role play).
Balancing self and other (30 mins)
- Discuss ways to balance care for the other with providing for ourselves and our dependents, referring to Suzuki's quote and conducting Exercise 3 (Self versus Other, with the Brown Ted Talk).
Implicit gender bias (30 mins)
- Conduct Exercise 4 (Gender-Career IAT) or Exercise 5 (Gender Decoder) and discuss implicit gender-based bias.
Sexual harassment online and at work (30 mins)
- Conduct Exercise 6 (Sexual harassment online) or Exercise 7 (Role play: sexual harassment in the workplace).
Conclusion (10 mins)
- Conclude the session with Exercise 8 (Minute Paper) and a discussion of the main lessons of the session.
Back to top