This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides, video material and case studies, that could help the lecturer teach the issues covered by the Module. Lecturers can adapt the slides and other resources to their needs.
- Presentation on Module 9 [to be added]
- Why Anti-Corruption Policies Fail: Systematic Corruption as a Collective Action Problem (prepared by Prof. Bo Rothstein, Quality of Government Institute, University of Gothenburg).
- The Cartel - Corruption in Public Schools (2019). Bowndownmedia (5:55 minutes). This clip from the documentary film "The Cartel," by Bob Bowdon, discusses corruption occurring in some of New Jersey's Public Schools.
- Corruption in Education (2016). Youth Educational Forum (14:21 minutes). This series of five short documentaries explores the efforts of youth in organizing and networking in combating corruption in youth's everyday educational life in South East Europe. The video shows how female reporters were sexually harassed, propositioned and put under pressure by senior lecturers at the academic institutions.
- 'Sex for grades': Undercover in West African universities (2019). BBC Africa Eye (13:44 minutes). This short documentary is about the work of undercover journalists inside universities in West Africa, which have increasingly been facing allegations of sexual harassment by lecturers.
- Social Psychology Videos: Social Dilemmas (2017). Nils Köbis and Paul van Lagne, In-Mind Magazine (5:45 minutes). This short video provides a social psychology angle for describing corruption as a social dilemma.
- Student suicides due to corruption in the education system (2011). Mohit Khurana (8:15 minutes). This is a video of a role play performed by students in India.
- The Kenyan ghost writers doing 'lazy' Western students' work (2019). BBC (3:02 minutes). This short video shows how university students in Europe and the US are paying Kenyans to do their academic work for them. The global market for academic writing is estimated to be worth $1bn (£770m) annually.
- The ETICO platform provides a vast range of resources on ethics and corruption in education.
- Integrity Action is an organization, which offers a broad collection of case studies on academic integrity and corruption in education.
Case studies, news reports and blogs
- Adegboyega, Ayodeji (2019). 'Manipulation' of young girls prevalent in West Africa's educational system - ECOWAS Official. Premium Times, 17 May.
- Barrera, Cathy, Stephanie Hurder, and Ashley Lannquist (2019). Here's how blockchain could stop corrupt officials from stealing school lunches. World Economic Forum, 17 May.
- BBC (2019). Felicity Huffman handed prison time over college admissions scandal, 13 September.
- Chu, Mei Mei and Yimie Yong (2019). Fake degrees: A worrying trend in Malaysia. The Star Online, 6 May.
- Denisova-Shmidt, Elena (2019). What can universities do to stop students cheating? World University News, 20 April.
- Khaled, Ashraf (2019). Lecturer, administrators sacked over 'pants-for-pass' class. University World News, 16 April.
- Kirby, Dean (2019). Education Secretary names and shames universities over 'unethical' admission practices. iNews, 5 April.
- Kokutse, Francis (2019). Lecturers in BBC sex-for-grades documentary face probe. University World News, 9 October
- Levi, Lennart, and Bo Rothstein (2018). Universities must lead on Sustainable Development Goals. University World News, 9 November.
- Myklebust, Jan Petter (2019). Rigging of academic positions - How to change a culture? University World News, 23 November.
- O'Malley, Brendan (2019). Admissions scandal parents charged with money laundering. University World News, 10 April.
- O'Malley, Brendan (2019). Call to fight corruption in higher education globally. University World News, 13 April.
- Osipian, Ararat (2019). The rise and ris e of ghost-written dissertations. University World News, 27 July.
- Ponniah, Kevin (2014). Cambodia crackdown on corruption in schools scores low with exam cheats. The Guardian, 2 September.
- Rappler (2019). COA to La Union state university: Explain 'diverted' funds, 28 April.
- Rahman, Mahmudur (2019). Ridding our universities of corruption. Dhaka Tribune, October 24.
- Sawahel, Wagdy (2019). Academics call for more action over dissertation mills. University World News, 22 July.
- The Jakarta Post (2019). Corruption on campus, 8 August.
- UrduPoint (2019). Values based education can help prevent corruption: acting director NAB, 16 May.
- Wysmulek, Ilona (2017). Bribe-giving experience and perceived corruption levels in public schools across Europe. ETICO Blog, 31 August.
- Kahfi, Kharishar (2019). Corruption major issue in rector election . The Jakarta Post, 6 August.