This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a short list of core readings that student should complete before taking a class based on this Module to become familiar with some of the key issues. Core readings are available to students either online or via open access. The next section recommends additional advanced readings for students interested in exploring the topic in more detail, and for lecturers teaching the Module.
- Council of Europe (1999). Recommendation R (99)22 Concerning Prison Overcrowding and Prison Population Inflation . Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- McNeill, Fergus (2013). Community Sanctions and European Penology. In T. Daems, D. van Zyl Smit and S. Snacken, eds. European Penology. London: Hart Publishing
- Penal Reform International (2018). Global Prison Trends 2018 . London: Penal Reform International.
- Stefani, Giorgia, Kronberga, Ilona, Sile, Sanita, Bisi, Roberta, Sette, Raffaella, Gregori, Emilio, Distaso, Marta, and Freeman, Ruth (2014). Reducing Prison Population: Advanced Tools of Justice in Europe. Rimini, Italy: Comunita Papa Giovanni XXII.
- Tonry, Michael (2017). Community Punishments in a Rational Society. In E. Luna, ed. Reforming Criminal Justice - Punishment, Incarceration, and Release. Minnesota: Academy for Justice.
- United Nations (1990). United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for Non-custodial Measures (The Tokyo Rules) , GA Resolution 45/110 . New York: UN.
- United Nations (1993 ). Commentary on the United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for Non-Custodial Measures.New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2006b). Handbook on Restorative Justice Programmes . Vienna: UNODC.
- UNODC (2007). Handbook of basic principles and promising practices on Alternatives to Imprisonment . New York: United Nations.
- UNODC (2013a). Handbook on Strategies to Reduce Overcrowding in Prison . New York: United Nations.
Next: Advanced reading
Back to top