Published in January 2019.
This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides and video material, that could help the lecturer teach the issues covered by the Module. Lecturers can adapt the resources to their needs.
- I Am Not Here (approx. 32 minutes), released by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). Through the true story of three women, this film documents the challenges of living as an undocumented migrant, domestic worker.
- TEDx Talk, My desperate journey with a human smuggler (approx. 15 minutes), by Barat Ali Battor. The video elaborates on the economic motivations of those involved in migrant smuggling, and the related massive and complex underpinning industry that has developed.
- Van Hear, Nicholas, Mixed Migration: Policy Challenges (9:38 minutes), by the Mixed Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford. The video offers an overview of the variety of forms and types of movement that characterise the phenomenon of mixed migration as well as the related policy challenges in this regard.
- On board an armed smugglers' boat with Iraqi and Syrian refugees (approx. 7 minutes) by France 24 provides a short account of the trip of smuggled migrants from Turkey to Greece.
- The TEDx Talk Why Migrant Smuggling Pays (app. 15 minutes) elaborates on the economic motivations of those involved in migrant smuggling, and the related massive and complex underpinning industry that has developed around it.
- International Organization for Migration, Interactive maps
- Global Migrants, Refugees & Asylum Applicants, Interactive maps
- Module 5 PowerPoint presentation (forthcoming)