Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
Core principles of international humanitarian law (IHL)
- Blum, Gabriella, and Philip Heymann (2010). " Law and Policy of Targeted Killing." Harvard National Security Journal, vol. 1, pp. 145-170.
- Melzer, Nils (2016). International Humanitarian law: A Comprehensive Introduction . ICRC: Geneva.
- Meron, Theodor (2006). The Humanization of International Law . The Hague Academy of International Law. Martinus Nijhoff: Leiden.
Categorization of an armed conflict
- Sassòli, Marco, Antoine Bouvier and Anne Quintin (2011). How Does Law Protect in War ? ICRC: Geneva, especially Chs. 2 and 12.
- Vité, Sylvain (2009). " Typology of armed conflicts in international humanitarian law: Legal concepts and actual situations." International Review of the Red Cross, vol. 91, no. 873, pp. 69-94.
- ICRC (2008). How is the Term "Armed Conflict" Defined in International Humanitarian Law? Opinion Paper. 17 March. » On the relevance and definition of armed conflict.
Classification of persons
- ICRC (2011). " Understanding armed groups and the applicable law." International Review of the Red Cross, vol. 93, no. 882. (Includes a number of relevant articles).
- Pejic, Jelena (2011). " The protective scope of common Article 3: More than meets the eye." International Review of the Red Cross, vol. 93, no. 881, pp. 189-225.
IHL and terrorism
- ICRC (2015). The applicability of IHL to terrorism and counterterrorism . 1 October.
- ICRC (2016). Terrorism, counter-terrorism and international humanitarian law . 17 October.
IHL and international human rights law
- Abresch, William (2005). " A Human Rights Law of Internal Armed Conflict: The European Court of Human Rights in Chechnya." European Journal of International Law, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 741-767.
- Cerone, John (2007). " Jurisdiction and Power: The Intersection of Human Rights Law & The Law of Non-International Armed Conflict in an Extraterritorial Context." Israel Law Review, vol. 40, p.396-452.