This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides and video material that could help the lecturer teach the issues and material covered by the Module. The slides and other resources can be adapted by lecturers.
PowerPoint Presentation for Module 7
Lecturers should note that the PowerPoint presentation provided for this Module (20 slides) is a suggestion only, and, if used, should be adapted to local content. For example, lecturers are encouraged to find and integrate pictures within their presentation of the different types of community sanctions that exist locally, for example electronic tags, local community service projects, good practice, or to highlight relevant issues raised by local media and politicians. It should also be noted that several 'key questions' are highlighted throughout the presentation that can be used by lecturers to encourage and stimulate group discussion among students during the teaching session (these can also be used as a basis for students' assessed presentations, as suggested above).
- Human Rights Monitoring Institute on the problems of pretrial detention in Europe - ' A Measure of Last Resort? Detention without trial in the EU' (5.13 minutes)
- Penal Reform International on the damaging impact of imprisonment around the world - ' Is a prison sentence always the solution?' Also available in Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic, Georgian and Armenian (2.38 minutes)
- Open University on the limitations of imprisonment - ' Radical alternatives to prison' (2.21 minutes)
- Penal Reform International on the introduction of community service programmes in Africa (examples from Zimbabwe, Kenya and Burkina Faso) - ' Community Service in Africa: An alternative to imprisonment' (26.37 minutes)
- Penal Reform International on the benefits of non-custodial measures for women in Kenya - ' Equal justice': making community sanctions work for women in Kenya' (7.43 minutes)
- Ex home detainee and probation officer in New Zealand discuss the pros and cons of electronic monitoring (stuff.co.nz) - ' Behind the bracelet: life under an electronically monitored sentence' (3.23 minutes)
- Marie Collins | TEDxVermilionStreet on the need for alternatives to imprisonment in the United States - 'Alternatives to Corrections: More Than Just a Jail' (16.08 minutes)
Next: Guidelines to develop a stand-alone course
Back to top