This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
- Cass., 12 Febbraio 2004, n. 8296 & Trib. Siracusa, 19 Luglio 2012, n. 229 (Italy)
- Fraudulent Ebay auctions in Romania
- Operation: Global Action against Online Fraudsters in the Airline Sector
- Operation Imperium (Bulgaria)
- Operation Onymous
- Organized cybercrime case 2004 (Russian Federation)
- Prosecution vs. Baksa Timea and others
- Public Prosecutor v Law Aik Meng (Singapore)
- R v Porte (Australia)
- United States of America v. Alexandre Cazes aka "ALPHA02" aka "ADMIN"
- United-States of America v. Robert M. Faiella, a/k/a "BTCKing" and Charlie Shrem
Websites and media articles
The following includes further information about cyber organized crime:
- Digital Citizens Alliance (n.d.). Digital Citizens Investigative Reports (various investigative reports can be found on this site relating to cyber organized crime).
- Europol (n.d). Internet Organised Crime Threat Assessment (the most recent reports can be found on this site).
- Financial Action Task Force (FATF) (particularly see publications, FAFT recommendations, especially regulation of virtual assets).
- IMOLIN (International Money Laundering Information Network).
- UNODC International Money Laundering Information Network (IMoLIN)/Anti-Money-Laundering International Database (AMLID).
The following includes further information about cryptocurrencies:
- CoinDesk. A Beginner's Guide to Blockchain Technology.
- CNBC. Currencies: Bitcoins.
- Fenech, Gerald (2019). The Privacy Coin Dilemma - What Are The Options On Offer? Forbes, 24 January 2019.
- Financial Times Cryptocurrencies.
- Hansen, Sarah (2018). Guide To Top Cryptocurrency Exchanges. Forbes, 20 June 2018.
- Malik, Nikita (2018). How Criminals and Terrorists Use Cryptocurrency: And How To Stop It. Forbes, 31 August 2018.
- Shin, Laura (2017). How To Explain Cryptocurrencies And Blockchains To The Average Person. Forbes, 3 October 2017.
- Wasik, John (2017). How to Spot a Bitcoin Scam. Forbes, 26 April 2017.
- UNODC (2014). Basic Manual on the Detection And Investigation of the Laundering of Crime Proceeds Using Virtual Currencies.
- UNODC (2018). Cryptocurrencies & Darknet.
- AllAvision (2016). Hidden Power: The strategic logic of organised crime (length: 42:43). » Dr. James Cockayne covers "the strategic logic of organised crime and its role in the age of globalization."
- SANS CTI Summit (2018). AlphaBay Market: Lessons From Underground Intelligence Analysis (length: 32:39). » Presentation by Christy Quinn of SANS Digital Forensics and Incident Response, which covers the type of intelligence that can be gleaned from darknet research and critically explores the intelligence obtained from a detailed examination of the AlphaBay market case.
- BBC News (2018). Bitcoin explained: How do cryptocurrencies work? (length: 2:22). » As the title indicates, this video provides a brief explanation of how cryptocurrencies work.
- MSNBC. This is how Bitcoin Works. (length: 1:50). » As the title indicates, this video briefly explains how bitcoin works.
- The Guardian (2014). Bitcoin explained and made simple. (3:24). » As the title indicates, this video explains bitcoin.
- US FBI, Operation Targets Dark Web Drug Buyers (length: 2:41). » FBI discusses drug trafficking on the darknet and provides information about a law enforcement operation they conducted known as Operation Disarray, which targeted buyers and sellers of drugs on the darknet.