Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
This section provides a list of (mostly) open access materials that the lecturer could ask the students to read before taking a class based on this Module.
International/regional human rights framework
- United Nations, OHCHR (2011). Interpretation of Torture in the Light of the Practice and Jurisprudence of International Bodies .
- United Nations, Human Rights Committee (1992). CCPR General Comment No.20: Article 7 (Prohibition of Torture, or Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment . 10 March. HRI/GEN/1/Rev.6.
- United Nations, Human Rights Council (2017) . Report of the Special Rapporteur on Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment . 14 February. A/HRC/34/54.
- Greer, Steven (2015). " Is the Prohibition against Torture, Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment Really 'Absolute' in International Human Rights Law?" Human Rights Law Review, vol. 15, issue 1, pp. 101-137.
- Pollard, Matt. " Torture as a Specific Criminal Offense in Domestic Laws." Conference paper. (Accessed 25 May 2018).
- Schabas, William A. (2006). " The Crime of Torture and the International Criminal Tribunals." Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law, vol. 37, no. 2.
- Anwukah, Obechi J. (2016). " The Effectiveness of International Law: Torture and Counterterrorism." Annual Survey of International Law and Comparative Law, vol. 21, issue. 1.
- Niyizurugero, Jean-Baptiste and Patrick Lessene (2008). Robben Island Guidelines for the Prohibition and Prevention of Torture in Africa: Practical Guide for Implementation . Addis Ababa: African Commission of Human and Peoples' Rights, OHCHR, Association for the Prevention of Torture.
- Bennoune, Karima (2008). " Terror/Torture ." Berkeley Journal of International Law, vol. 26, issue 1.
- Droege, Cordula (2007). " "In Truth the Leitmotiv": the Prohibition of Torture and other Forms of Ill-Treatment in International Humanitarian Law." International Review of the Red Cross, vol. 89, no. 867.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Legal Counsel (2003). Memorandum for Alberto R Gonzales Counsel to the President, Re: Standards of Conduct for Interrogation under 18 U.S.C. ss 2340-2340A . Washington D.C., Office of the Assistant Attorney General.