This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides, video material and case studies, that could help the lecturer teach the issues covered by the Module. Lecturers can adapt the slides and other resources to their needs.
- Presentation on Module 11: Right to a Fair Trial (forthcoming)
These short films give a range of perspectives regarding whether and how suspected terrorists have the right to a fair trial, and identify some of the accompanying rule of law issues that can arise.
Tool 1: United Nations and International References
- United Nations, OHCHR, International Bar Association (2003). Human Rights in the Administration of Justice: A Manual on Human Rights for Judges, Prosecutors and Lawyers . United Nations Publications. Ch. 6, "The Right to a Fair Trial Part I: From Investigation to Trial". » An overview of international jurisprudence on aspects of the right to a fair trial.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (2014). Counter-Terrorism Legal Training Curriculum Module 4: Human Rights and Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism . Vienna: UNODC.
- United Nations, Count-Terrorism Implementation Task Force, Working Group on protecting human rights while countering terrorism (2014). Basic Human Rights Reference Guide: Fair Trial and Due Process in the Context of Countering Terrorism . New York: United Nations
- United Nations, Human Rights Committee (2007). General Comment No. 32: Article 14: Right to equality before courts and tribunals and to a fair trial . 23 August. CCPR/C/GC/32.
- United Nations, General Assembly, Human Rights Council (2010). Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on the protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism . 15 December. A/HRC/16/50. » Discusses aspects of due process and the right to fair trial in the context of counter-terrorism.
- United Nations, General Assembly (2008). Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism . 6 August. A/63/223. » The United Nations Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and Counter-terrorism has produced a report addressing the right to a fair trial, which includes summary and analysis of key issues arising in terrorism trials.
- Mole, Nuala, and Catharina Harby (2006). " The Right to a Fair Trial: A Guide to the Implementation of Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights ." Human Rights Handbooks, No. 3. Council of Europe, Directorate General of Human Rights. » Information about the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights on the right to a fair trial, including the scope of the right and the protections it encompasses.
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (2003). Principles and Guidelines on the Right to a Fair Trial and Legal Assistance in Africa .
- African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (2015) . Principles and Guidelines on Human and Peoples' Rights while Countering Terrorism in Africa . » See especially Part 4.
- United Nations. Guidelines on the Role of Prosecutors. » In particular, Principle 16 sets out the professional responsibilities of prosecutors who come into possession of unlawfully obtained evidence.
- United Nations, OHCHR (2004). Istanbul Protocol: Manual on the Effective Investigation and Documentation of Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. Geneva. » Intended to serve as international guidelines for the assessment of persons who allege torture and ill-treatment, for investigating cases of alleged torture and for reporting findings to the judiciary or any other investigative body.
- United Nations, General Assembly (1985). Resolution 40/146: The Basic Principles on the Independence of the Judiciary . 13 December. A/RES/40/146.