Published in July 2018.
This module is a resource for lecturers
Additional teaching tools
This section includes links to relevant teaching aides such as PowerPoint slides, video material and case studies, that could help the lecturer teach the issues covered by the Module. Lecturers can adapt the slides and other resources to their needs.
- Presentation on Module 14: Victims of Terrorism (forthcoming)
- Video 1: Council of Europe, " Secretary General statement on new guidelines for terror victims".
- Video 2: United Nations, OHCHR, " UN expert on counterterrorism urges for international action for victims' rights, their protection and compensation" (5 July 2012).
- Video 3: Case Western Reserve University School of Law, " Victims before International Criminal Courts: A Challenge for International Criminal Justice" (21 November 2011).
- Video 4: United Nations, " Surviving Terrorism: Victims' Voices from Norway" (3 November 2017).
- Video 5: Bring Back our Girls, " Bring Back Our Girls" campaign following the abduction on 14 April 2014 of 230 school girls by Boko Haram in Nigeria (1 May 2014).
There are several resources available on victims related issues, a few which are listed here:
- United Nations, " Victims of Terrorism Support Portal".
- Radio interview about the United Nations Victims of Terrorism Support Portal as well as the key role to be played by multilateral organizations: The Organization of American States' work on promoting the rights of victims of terrorism.
- United Nations, Victims of Terrorism Support Portal. The African Union's work supporting victims of terrorism: Interview with Ambassador Francisco Madeira, Special Representative of the African Union for Counter-Terrorism Cooperation and Director of the African Centre for the Study and Research on Terrorism.
- Working Group on Supporting and Highlighting Victims of Terrorism of the Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force (CTITF).
- Special rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights while countering terrorism.
- Special rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence.
- Special rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
- Working Group on enforced or involuntary disappearances.
Global Counter terrorism Forum (GCTF)
- Global Counterterrorism Forum, Criminal Justice Sector/Rule of Law Working Group.
- Global Counterterrorism Forum, Criminal Justice Sector/Rule of Law Working Group. The Rabat Memorandum on Good Practices for Effective Counterterrorism Practice in the Criminal Justice Sector.
European e-Justice Portal
- General information on compensation for crime victims in the European Union.
- Detailed review of domestic regulations on this matter.
Associations of Victims
- Official website of World Trade Center Survivors' Network.
- September 11 th Victim Compensation Fund of 2001.
- Asociacion 11-M Afectados Terrorismo.
- National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States.
- Victim Support Fund.